Manager Internal Controls
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
- To ensure the sustainment of policies, procedures and processes of internal control which are cost-effective, operationally efficient, and compliant with regulatory requirements (e.g. SOX).
- To monitor and report to management and the Audit and Finance Committee on internal controls design and effectiveness.
- Leads the management of and drives continuous improvement of the corporate internal controls framework (business and IT controls) to support management’s assessment of key internal controls over financial reporting (SOX) and broader integrated control framework (non-SOX controls);
- Through communication of potential risks and reporting of identified internal control issues, provides education and advice on mitigation of these risks driving a controls culture at all levels of management throughout CP;
- Obtains agreement with control owners for plans to address control deficiencies and ensure these plans are implemented by management on a timely basis;
- Develops, maintains and continually improves management’s internal controls testing program (business and IT controls) across CP’s network in compliance with SOX regulatory requirements ensuring efficient utilization of resources. In addition, develops and leads execution of non-SOX controls program providing management with value-add advice through review, documentation and testing of management controls and processes;
- Develops and leads the successful completion of the ICFR program’s IT General Controls, IT application controls, and Report Testing;
- Designs and executes formal quarterly internal controls documentation certification process to support CEO and CFO quarterly representation to U.S. Securities Exchange Commission. Ensures maintenance of all records related to this process;
- Manages day to day relationship, provides assistance to and responds to all queries from external auditors related to CP’s internal control framework. Coordinates testing approach and performance of testing ensuring alignment with external auditors. Proactively seeks to drive efficiencies in the SOX testing program through identifying opportunities to work collaboratively and for the external auditors to place the maximum reliance upon the work of Internal Controls;
- Prepares reports on internal controls (SOX and non-SOX) for management and Audit and Finance Committee;
- Maintains and improves documentation of internal controls and management’s documentation of processes and controls in corporate Governance Reporting and Compliance software. Ensures documentation provides management with valuable resources for management of accounting and financial reporting processes;
- Work with other internal controls stakeholders (such as Internal Audit, Risk, etc.) to strengthen and continually improve CP’s control framework, mitigate corporate risk, increase staff utilization and eliminate duplicate work;
- Creates an environment that provides opportunities for development of staff.
- Strong understanding of control framework gained through experience working in Internal Control, SOX, Internal Audit or similar role.
- Accounting (CPA) or Internal Audit designation would be an asset.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience;
- Experience in IT audit and planning, risk assessment, performance of SOX 404 IT controls/assessment;
- Management and leadership skills including coaching, motivating, communication, team building, implementing change and improvement;
- Strong ability with Microsoft Office products specifically Word, Excel and Visio;
- Working knowledge of SAP ECC and SAP GRC.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").