- Shepherd's Care Foundation
- Edmonton, AB
- Job Industry
- Health Care and Social Services, Not-for-profit and Charitable Organizations
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
About Shepherd’s Care Foundation
Shepherd’s Care Foundation (SCF) is a faith-based, not-for-profit organization providing quality care and accommodations to more than 1,800 seniors throughout Edmonton and Barrhead. Our seven campuses provide living options for a full spectrum of care, including independent living, supportive living, supportive living with dementia, long-term care and complex care.
At SCF, person-centered care is the foundation for all we do. All persons are to be treated with dignity and respect in every interaction. Working for SCF requires the highest standards of personal behavior and ethics, and it is an on-going condition of employment that employees comply with the Behaviour Standards.
About our Senior Accountant Opportunity
The Senior Accountant position reports directly to the Executive Director, Integration & Administration.
This position’s main responsibilities are assisting with the preparation of monthly and year-end journal entries, working papers, preparation of financial reports, variance analysis, full cycle accounting functions and ensuring all information provided is prompt, relevant and accurate. A sound knowledge of accounting principles, excellent customer service and organizational skills are required to carry out the broad variety of duties.
- Complete period-end closing entries, procedures and reports as required.
- Complete monthly balance sheet account reconciliations and working papers in a timely, complete and accurate basis.
- Assist with the preparation of various payroll reports.
- Compile the quarterly GST reconciliation and filing.
- Maintain the Schedule of Fixed Assets and Depreciation, including preparation of monthly journal entry.
- Prepare financial reporting packages and financial statements for all entities in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Analyze financial statements and work with budget owners to complete timely variance analysis.
- Lead the development of internal reporting requirements for all levels of the organization.
- Complete external reporting requirements as required (e.g. FIRMS).
- Assist with the external auditor requirements for all entities.
- Serve as back-up resource within the Finance Department when required.
- Act as the subject matter expert and super user for the financial system.
- Assist with the development of the budget and forecast.
- Review, develop and implement Finance related policies and procedures.
- Support and implement process improvements and automation.
- Ad hoc projects as may be required for resource allocation and controls, business planning and analysis.
- Promote a safe environment for residents, team and self.
- Report unsafe conditions within the work environment. Take required action to decrease the risk of injury immediately and/or notify the Executive Director, Integration & Administration of the concern.
- Avoid unsafe work practices and provide feedback and support promptly to team members involved in unsafe working practices.
- Utilize the reporting process for Employee Injury and Hazardous conditions and resident unusual incidents.
- Demonstrate a commitment to learning new skills, methods and ideas, and to broaden experience through work on projects and committees.
- Completion of a post-secondary degree in business with relevant accounting courses.
- Professional accounting designation is an asset.
- 4+ years’ experience in a full-cycle accounting environment.
- Advanced information technology skills.
- Advanced Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Self-motivated with strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills.
- General understanding of accounting standards and GAAP.
- Strong ability to assess work needs, prioritize and adapt to changing routines.
- A demonstrated commitment to the mission, values and beliefs of the Shepherd’s Care Foundation.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Shepherd’s Care Foundation is "Living Life in a Caring, Christian Environment."