- Hay River
- Job Industry
- Utilities (Public & Private)
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
The Controller provides team leadership and supervision to the Financial Reporting Team in external and internal financial reporting needs, dual accounting frameworks and governance over the General Ledger, fixed asset, AP subledger and other subledgers. Ensuring compliance with Corporation policies, goals and objectives related to Finance. The Controller provides advice to the CFO on setting corporate strategy and helps plan and direct departmental goals, budgets, objectives and programs in a team-managed organizational structure.
• Responsible for the integrity and development of the chart of accounts
• Directs the general ledger, and sub ledger functions
• Develops programs and policies to support the structure
• Co-ordinates the activities of external financial consultants/accountants to the Controller’s department
• Formulates, implements and co-ordinates a plan to ensure the system requirements are met for software
• Ensure the Controller’s group complies with Corporate policies
• Initiates, develops and implements financial reporting policies and procedures as required
• Participates directly in meetings with divisional management, community leaders, government representatives, regulators, financial establishments and major customers to discuss and resolve issues related to financial reporting
• Prepares quarterly board reports, ad hoc position papers and presentations on financial reporting issues
• Prepares proposals to ensure the effective communication of corporate financial reporting strategies. Makes presentations to senior leadership team and the board and may participate as a witness
• Prepares budget for the Financial Reporting Team and provides additional input on corporate budget items under the responsibility of financial reporting such as amortization expense, etc. Leads the Financial Reporting teams review and analysis of monthly, quarterly and annual variance analysis of actuals against budget and prior years
• Co-ordinates with the Manager, Treasury and Risk to ensure financial reporting risks are properly identified, monitored and adequate controls are in place to mitigate the given risks. Works with the Manager, Treasury and Risk to ensure financial risks across the corporation are properly identified, monitored and adequate controls are in place to mitigate the given risks
• Maintains an up-to-date understanding of activities across all financial areas and performs the duties of other managers on an acting basis as required and assigned by the CFO, including acting on behalf of the CFO
• Provides training to and receives training from co-workers in financial functions such as monthly, quarterly and annual reporting requirements, providing information related to regulatory applications, providing accounting support to the field and administrative duties as well as performs other responsibilities in applicable areas within work unit as assigned by the CFO
• Completion of a CPA designation required
• A minimum of seven (7) years of financial management and consultative experience post completion of your designation is required
• A minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience is required
• Knowledge and experience in working in a Public-Sector Accounting Standards environment is beneficial
• Experience with Great Plains accounting software is beneficial
• Knowledge and experience with continuous improvement or process efficiency reviews is beneficial
• Knowledge and experience in administrative and financial reporting procedures to coordinate activities and to provide sound advice and recommendations regarding the development, implementation, and monitoring of financial reporting structures
• Strong interpersonal and team-building skills to collaborate effectively with the financial reporting group
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, which includes Health and Dental Benefits, Long-term Disability, Life Insurance, paid Sick Days and a Defined Pension Plan. Relocation assistance will be provided.
Affirmative Action Employer - Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.