Assistant Controller - Budget and Financial Planning
- City of Spruce Grove
- Spruce Grove, Alberta
- $92,577.00 to $114,360.00
- RC 2021 0003
- Job Industry
- Government/Public Administration
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
This position is responsible for providing high level assistance to the Controller, and for providing leadership and coaching to the financial planning staff, to ensure accurate accounting and reporting for budget, and effective financial planning. The incumbent will lead the preparation of the annual spring budget adjustment and creation of the annual fiscal plan that is included as a component of the corporate plan. They will provide technical support to interdepartmental committees and work teams as a representative of the Finance department and will support the Controller in the enhancement of customer service to internal customers in the organization and policy development and implementation. This position reports to the Controller.
1. Budget and Financial Planning
• Work collaboratively with Controller and the Manager of Corporate Planning to lead an integrated approach to Corporate Planning and Financial Planning.
• Provide assistance to the Controller in the development and implementation and/or review and update of policies and corresponding procedures.
• Assist the Controller in the selection and implementation of financial software, as required.
• Engage in risk assessments related to financial reporting, revenue management, and business processes to ensure appropriate internal controls are implemented and monitored to support the accuracy and completeness of financial reporting and prevention of fraud and error.
• Responsible to prepare key economic assumptions for the organization, and oversee the update of tax and utility assumptions, calculations, and input templates.
• Work with Payroll department to obtain up-to-date payroll data and assumptions for input/import.
• With the CFO and Controller, identify emerging issues that will impact financial planning.
• Work corroboratively with Controller to prepare the annual spring budget adjustment and complete the documentation to support this process.
• Work with organizational managers to enhance budget and forecast processes, and encourage accountability through proper support for reported balances and variances.
• Assist the Financial Planning team with financial analysis and finalization of department operating and capital budgets, as required, for the preparation of the annual fiscal plan.
2. Accounting and Reporting
• Provide support to the Assistant Controller - Accounting and Reporting where required to prepare the quarterly financial statements, interim and year-end financial reporting, walkthroughs and analysis, and the annual report.
• Responsible for ensuring the approved annual budget is provided to Financial Reporting for upload into GP and support for budget balances and variances is available to assist with quarterly financial statement presentations to the Corporate Leadership Team (CLT) and Council.
3. Supervisory Management
• Ensure leadership aligns with the City's strategic and corporate plans as well as values and guiding principles.
• Provide a high level of coaching, training, and mentoring to section staff in the achievement of their goals and projects throughout the year and during the performance management process.
• Manage the daily operations of the Financial Planning team; setting goals and expectations for them, making decisions regarding staffing matters, stressing the importance of teamwork, ensuring the overall efficiency of services provided.
4. Stakeholder and Strategic Support
• Be the Finance representative on internal working groups from time to time as assigned by the Controller.
• Represent Finance in meetings with other departments to provide enhanced service and customer support.
• Create the work plan for the Financial Planning work group and mentor staff where required.
• Post-secondary degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or equivalent.
• Seven (7) to Eight (8) years related experience including supervisory experience.
• Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation required.
• CPA Public Sector Budgeting/ Financial Reporting training or Controllers Program an asset.
• Project Management training an asset.
How to Apply: Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for a full job description and more information about the City of Spruce Grove