- Medicine Hat, Alberta
- Job Industry
- Manufacturing, Transportation
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance, CPA Candidate Position – experience verification route, CPA Candidate Position – pre-approved program route
- Job Type
- An excellent opportunity for a financial professional to join a global leader!
- Take your career to the next level in this pivotal role.
- Be part of a unique company culture with great employee benefits.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Methanex is the world's largest supplier of methanol to major international markets in North America, Asia-Pacific, Europe and Latin America. Methanol can be found in products from windshield washer fluid to recyclable plastic bottles, plywood floors to paint, silicone sealants to synthetic fibers. The energy sector is one of the most rapidly growing markets for the use of Methanol and greatly relies on the expertise and commitment of Methanex as their trusted supplier.
With the care of the environment as the root of their business, Methanex is a Responsible Care® company committed to the safe, ethical and environmentally sound management of the chemicals it makes and uses. Responsible Care® is an ethic established by the Chemical Industry Association of Canada (CIAC). The Responsible Care® ethic is an integral part of Methanex’s global commitment to ensuring the well-being of all stakeholders, wherever Methanex does business.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Methanex is currently seeking a Financial Analyst to join their team in Medicine Hat, AB. This opportunity is a 15-month, full-time position, which will commence on April 2021 through to June 2022.
As the new Financial Analyst, you will provide analytical and financial expertise for the Methanex Medicine Hat site by supporting business decisions and the management of resources as well as implementing efficient processes. This role will also see you focus on financial stewardship and reputation by ensuring compliance with accounting standards, company policies and sound governance.
More specifically your responsibilities in this role will include:
- Managing the site capital program by creating budgets, forecasts and monthly reports.
- Optimizing processes and reports with the Project Leads to support project cost management.
- Maintaining fixed assets register and depreciation schedules including contracts, major components, installed cost, in-service date and useful life to accounting standards as well as property tax assessment guidelines.
- Managing commercial arrangements by building strong business relationships and maintaining them to ensure economic stability – C02, Utilities.
- Sharing financial terms and conditions for new contracts with the Finance team.
- Performing economic evaluations for projects and operational strategies as needed.
- Understanding the provincial requirements for property, machinery and equipment assessment reports and completing the annual submission.
- Reviewing the City of Medicine Hat's tax assessments for accuracy.
- Reviewing key business processes, identifying systems and addressing opportunities for improvement.
- Ensuring Methanex Corporation maintains accurate general ledger balances and financial reports by listing journal entries and preparing reconciliation of the balance sheet accounts.
In order to qualify for this role, you will join us with a post-secondary degree in business, economics, finance or accounting, combined with at least 3 years of experience in a relevant accounting position. You will also have a CPA designation or be actively working towards obtaining your certification in a CPA program. You'll also need the following knowledge and experience:
- Experience in the industrial or manufacturing industry preferred.
- Experience with fixed asset accounting, project cost management, and municipal tax act are assets.
- Sound knowledge of accounting principles and standards, including International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Knowledge and experience in preparing financial reports and presentations.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of financial software and Microsoft Office programs, including advanced Excel skills.
- Sound knowledge of Sarbanes Oxley legislation and internal controls.
As our ideal candidate for this role you'll join us with the following competencies:
- Customer-focused; dedicated to meeting the expectations of internal and external customers.
- Sound judgement with demonstrated ability to make valuable decisions based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom and experience.
- Strong ability to develop and maintain positive peer relationships and collaboration.
- Strong prioritization, planning and time management skills demonstrated through consistent ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Comfortable with ambiguity, including the ability to respond effectively to shifting priorities and demonstrated flexibility in response to change.
- Strategic agility, including the ability to analyze and interpret data, accurately identify trends and issues, recognize similarities between current and past circumstances, and anticipate future consequences and trends.
- Proactive in identifying and implementing improvements and efficiencies.
- Demonstrated understanding of the market's fundamental dynamics and how the business impacts financial results.
- Strong self-awareness and personal commitment to ongoing self-development, including a proactive approach to seeking and responding to constructive feedback.
If you have the drive, determination, and ambition to meet and exceed expectations, then we invite you to apply today!
ABOUT THE BENEFITS
Building on our core values of integrity, trust, respect and professionalism, our corporate culture encourages communication and teamwork and rewards employees for creativity and innovation. We are also very active in supporting educational and training/development initiatives. We sponsor scholarships and co-op programs at local colleges and universities, as well as hands-on training programs at our manufacturing facilities.
In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you can expect to receive an industry competitive salary.
Join this thriving and team-focused market leader today and expand your experience with a new challenge - Apply Now!
To apply, please complete the online application form. Once you have answered the questions, please click NEXT, and you will be instructed to attach your resume on the following page. Please submit your resume and cover letter as a single document.
All expressions of interest must be submitted by 4 p.m. on March 19, 2021.