Manager, Financial Reporting
“Powering Economies and Communities”
TransAlta owns, operates, and develops a diverse fleet of electrical generation assets in Canada, the United States and Australia, providing municipalities, industries, and businesses with safe, low-cost and reliable clean electricity.
For over 100 years, TransAlta has been a responsible operator and proud community-member where its employees work and live. We are committed to fostering a dynamic, productive, and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountabilities, strong leadership, and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
For more information about TransAlta, visit our website at, www.transalta.com
The Manager, Financial Reporting is responsible for the internal and external financial reporting and internal control compliance of TransAlta Corporation and TransAlta Renewables. This position provides technical accounting leadership within the entire organization and provides accounting advisory support for complex transactions, new accounting standards and M&A activity. The position reports directly to the Managing Director and Controller.
- Accountable for the preparation of external reporting for TransAlta Corporation and TransAlta Renewables along with other subsidiaries subject to general audit in compliance with relevant accounting and regulatory standards. Deliverables include quarterly and annual financial statements, management’s discussion, and analysis, as well as additional financial reports required for filing in connection with public offerings or to comply with securities regulation
- Manage SOX compliance and the GRC process and support the business in improving control processes or documents to ensure that TransAlta's control framework is maintained. The Manager will work with internal and external audit teams to track deficiencies and manage the remediation process
- Advise business units accounting groups and the consolidation & financial systems groups on accounting for complex transactions, new accounting standards and M&A activity
- Identify emerging reporting needs and orientations and devise solutions for accounting and reporting issues by coordinating with business units and external auditors
- Overseeing the Capital Accounting group, through their supervisor
- Provide leadership for optimal performance, by selecting, developing and managing direct reports capable of producing the agreed deliverables in a timely manner
- Developing, implementing, and reviewing a 1 – 3 year business plan and delivering the agreed outcomes
- Drive efficiency and productivity improvements and support team members in advancing their ideas
- Liaison with external and internal auditors
- CPA designation, with a minimum of 10 years of post-designation financial accounting experience
- Advanced knowledge of IFRS and internal controls experience
- Knowledge of securities regulations and processes as it pertains to Management’s discussion & Analysis and financial statement filings
- Experience in public accounting (audit and/or consultancy)
- Relevant knowledge of financial systems
- Abillity to lead and manage medium-sized teams
- Demonstrated capability to develop, implement and manage a 1-3 year functional area business plan
- Demonstrated ability to apply IFRS and regulatory knowledge to the review of financial documents for disclosure and technical memos to detect potential errors or gaps
- Ability to convey complex ideas or principles with simplicity, both in writing or verbally
- Capability to effectively build a diverse team and provide managerial leadership to direct reports.
- Demonstrated ability to influence, negotiate and facilitate buy-in with a variety of stakeholders across functions
Our comprehensive and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, incentive, and rewards programs form the foundation of TransAlta’s excellent employment proposition.
Come on board!
Our commitment is to attract and retain the best talent. Some positions may require the successful completion of one or more background checks such as criminal, medical, or compliance. If these verifications are needed, they will be indicated on the job posting.