Sr. Advisor, IFRS & External Reporting
“Powering Economies and Communities”
TransAlta owns, operates, and develops a diverse fleet of electrical generation assets in Canada, the United States and Australia, providing municipalities, industries, and businesses with safe, low-cost and reliable clean electricity.
For over 100 years, TransAlta has been a responsible operator and proud community-member where its employees work and live. We are committed to fostering a dynamic, productive, and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountabilities, strong leadership, and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
For more information about TransAlta, visit our website at, www.transalta.com
TransAlta is currently seeking a full-time Senior Advisor, IFRS & External Reporting to join our Financial Reporting team at our head office in Calgary.
The Sr. Advisor, IFRS & External reporting is primarily accountable for advising on select complex accounting issues arising from business transactions, new accounting pronouncements and maintaining quality and compliance across financial statements of TransAlta entities that are subject to general purpose audits, including management’s discussion and analysis for TransAlta and TransAlta Renewables, as well as to maintain corporate accounting policies and related disclosures. The Sr. Advisor, IFRS & External reporting will provide support and oversight for assessments relating to embedded derivatives and financial instruments and related valuations and provide oversight of IFRS 15 Revenues.
- Identifies and researches complex technical accounting issues impacting TransAlta, including those that may arise from new accounting standards. Depending on the scale of the project, the work may include coordination across various business units and with external consultants
- Provide IFRS and general accounting advice and support to business unit accountants on topic specific inquiries on an ad hoc basis
- Assist teams with the implementation of the recommendations to ensure accurately implemented and consistent with guidance, working closely with financial system team, consolidation team and shared services
- Coordinate the audit of significant conclusions with the auditors and support their requests
- Prepare and provide training to the finance teams and shared services team as required
- Advises Senior Financial Analysts with respect to their recommendations for new disclosures for new business transactions or new requirements, with a focus to build their own expertise and knowledge of IFRS standards
- Develops and implements an annual business plan for complex accounting, accounting policies, and delivers agreed-upon outcomes
- Monitors relevant accounting and regulatory developments and summarizes them for the Audit Committees through quarterly memorandums; or reviews memo prepared by Sr. Financial Analysts
- Periodically draft updates to TransAlta’s internal accounting policies as well as the stated policies for disclosure purposes; or reviews policy updates made by other team members
- Reviews the financial statements and management’s discussion and analysis for TransAlta and TransAlta Renewables, with a primary focus to:
- Validation of information provided Financial Reporting Assistance Package (FRAPs) to presentation/usage in FS and MDA and review of FRAPs for accuracy and completeness of submissions
- Quantitative consistency of historical information for comparatives, across the documents, ensuring mathematical and cross-referential accuracy and completeness
- Compliance with IFRS disclosure requirements, accounting policies and securities regulation
- Complete other ad hoc projects or assignment as requested by the Manager, Financial Reporting or the Managing Director, Corporate Controller
- CPA designation
- Advanced knowledge of IFRS
- 12 years or more of related experience
- Knowledge of securities regulations and processes as it pertains to Management’s discussion & Analysis and financial statement filings
- Experience in public accounting (audit and/or consultancy)
- Demonstrated ability to apply IFRS and regulatory knowledge to the review of accounting requests, financial documents and new information presented impacting disclosure
- Preparation of technical memos supporting our position and ability to work with and respond to external audit requests
- Knowledge of Power and Utilities and the application of IFRS Experience with financial instruments both classification and measurement
- Excellent writing skills to edit and align financial reporting documents in line with TransAlta’s communication tone and objectives
- Ability to convey complex ideas or principles with simplicity, both in writing or verbally
- Demonstrated ability to build trust in relationships
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor at various levels of the organization
- Available to perform work after hours and on weekends when required, principally to meet quarter/year-end reporting commitments
Our comprehensive and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, incentive, and rewards programs form the foundation of TransAlta’s excellent employment proposition.
Come on board!
Our commitment is to attract and retain the best talent. Some positions may require the successful completion of one or more background checks such as criminal, medical, or compliance. If these verifications are needed, they will be indicated on the job posting.