- LHH Knightsbridge
- Regina, Saskatchewan
- Job Industry
- Real Estate Development, Sales & Leasing, Property Management
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Client Organization: Avana Enterprises
Position Title: Controller
Reports to: Head of Operations
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Avana is a Saskatchewan-based real estate enterprise headquartered in Regina. The Avana team, proud of their female-led and family-owned values, is dedicated to using its energy and resources to enrich the community through extensive charitable giving and the development of safe, attainable, quality housing across Canada.
Since founding the company in 2014, Avana has emerged as a leading developer in Western Canada with accolades for high-growth successes and social responsibility. With over $300 million in assets under management and extraordinary business performance to-date, Avana ranked No. 10 on the Canadian Business and Maclean’s 2020 Growth List of Top 500 companies in Canada, marking the first time in history that a female-led company from Saskatchewan broke the Growth’s List Top 10.
Collectively, the Avana team demonstrates a progressive and forward-thinking attitude and approach to ideation actively seeking out change and evolution. As a key member of the Avana team you will exhibit a strong drive and passion to fight for equality and female empowerment. Parallel to Avana’s strong familial sense of belonging, care, and respect, you will be a part of something bigger than yourself. Together, the Avana team will build a better tomorrow, a better future, ultimately leading to a better community.
Visit www.avanabuilds.ca to learn more about Avana’s purpose-led vision to maximize positive impact in the community.
To support the fast-pace and high-growth at Avana, our client is actively seeking a Controller to closely support the President/CEO with all of cash flow and reporting needs of the company as they head towards their goal of achieving $1B in assets under management over the next 10 years.
This is an exciting time to join Avana as they grow and expand across key real estate markets in Canada. A commitment to and alignment with the corporate culture will be key to this professional’s success in the role. Everyone at Avana believes in a strong work ethic, a positive, can-do and will-do attitude and shares a passion for the community.
Based at the Regina, Saskatchewan head office, the Controller reports directly to the Head of Operations, and will lead a team of 2 direct reports for now with plans to grow. The Controller works with the President/CEO from time to time dealing with cash flow forecasting, providing documentation for financing applications.
The Controller works directly with the external accounting firm to finalize annual audited, reviewed and notice to reader financial statements for the entities in the enterprise. Throughout the fiscal year, this individual will gather details, options and assess risk, who will then present to the President/CEO as the ultimate decision maker on significant items.
The Controller manages the day to day banking needs of the enterprise, including bank accounts, credit cards, and cash flow products and services. This individual directly manages the accounting department staff, including daily management, performance reviews, performance development plans and compensation entitlements. This individual contributes to the operations by finding efficiencies and ensuring accuracy in the financial operations.
The scope of this position applies to Avana’s activities across Canada in current markets and will apply to new markets.
We have an incredibly fast-paced work environment so we are looking for passion, energy and proactivity.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Possess a driven entrepreneurial spirit.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to exercise composure and maintain professionalism at all times.
- Strong and articulate communication skills.
- Ability to work well independently and collaborate in a team environment.
- Emotional intelligence to thrive in a family enterprise.
- Ability to adhere to CPA standards while offering creativity to decision making in relation to tax planning.
- Enjoys and works well in a fast-paced, high-growth environment that is focused on driving corporate expansion and market presence.
- Ability to delegate to and manage individuals on the accounting team.
- Ability to travel from time to time within Canada
- Must hold a CPA designation along with at least five years of experience as a Controller, or similar position.
- Ability and desire to work outside of regular business hours to meet the needs of the enterprise.
- Human resources and management experience required.
- Knowledge of QuickBooks Online is considered an asset.
- Strategic Planning experience considered an asset.
- Operations management considered an asset as it relates to tax planning.
- Planning, directing and coordinating all accounting operational functions for the organization including internal and external financial statements and supporting the annual year end process with the external accountants.
- Manage the accounting and administration team including a full-time receptionist/ administrative assistant and full-time accountant/ bookkeeper.
- Review Property Managers’ work for charge backs, warranty, absorption of expenses.
- Manages all entities GST, PST returns and corporate tax remittances.
- Manages accounts receivable and accounts payable for the entire enterprise.
- Provide monthly project reporting for Quantitative Surveyor, when necessary.
- Manage applications and reporting to the municipality and province for optional capital grant and/ or tax abatement programs.
- Fulfill reporting requirements to financial institutions, alongside the CEO/ President.
- Facilitate the monthly issuance of YTD operating statements per project, satisfactory to CMHC.
- Support Help Us Help Her committee when events are underway.
- Manage Avana Foundations books, reconciliations, GST, PST.
- Keep informed of government policies and tax changes that affect the business.
- Control costs of invoices & projects – vs cost sheet or Purchase Orders.
- Work efficiently with the team in Alberta and other applicable Provinces as Avana expands.
- Review employee expenses and ensure supporting data is on file.
- Make decision on warranty items in regard to Avana warrantying or trades warrantying.
- Cash flow planning and reporting monthly.
- Attend Avana functions.
- Manage Payroll – including WCB reporting, ROEs, T4s, manage health insurance.
- Management of the RRSP match program.
- Prepare T5018s.
- Be the main contact for CRA.
- Maintain software for the accounting team and keep well informed of technology that could improve efficiencies.
Jon Nagamatsu, Partner email@example.com 416-928-4542
Michelle Partipilo, Sr. Consultant firstname.lastname@example.org 416-928-4633
About LHH Knightsbridge – www.lhhknightsbridge.com
LHH helps organizations simplify the complexity associated with transforming their leadership and workforce so they can accelerate results, with less risk.
As global leaders in Talent and Leadership Development, Career Solutions and Executive, Interim and Mid-Level Search, we assist organizations in finding new talent, and helping their employees navigate change, become better leaders, develop better careers, and transition into new jobs. We have the local expertise, global infrastructure, and industry leading technology and analytics required to simplify the complexity associated with executing critical talent and workforce initiatives, reducing brand and operational risk. Teams across Canada and around the world leverage our proven programs and global experience to deliver tailored solutions to clients that align talent with the needs of their business.
Established in 1967, we have been providing outplacement services for 52 years. LHH is a wholly owned subsidiary of Adecco, SA, a publicly held Fortune Global 500 firm and the world’s leading provider of HR solutions, with approximately 32,000 FTE employees and 5,100 branches in over 66 countries and territories around the world. LHH has more than 4,000 employees around the globe including 2,200+ certified Career Coaches.