Manager, Finanical Compliance & Corporate Sustainability
Reporting to the Corporate Controller, the “Manager, Financial Compliance & Corporate Sustainability” is responsible for leading the Company’s internal audit and internal control frameworks as well as the administrative management of the Company’s Environmental, Social and Governance (“ESG”) framework.
Lead the Company’s internal audit functions
- Perform financial, operational and IT audits including assessment of internal controls, with particular focus on internal controls over financial reporting.
- Work with the business to identify control issues and offer recommendations on necessary improvements.
- Continuously evaluate procedures, policies, and controls to ensure the program is fit for the purpose intended, to reduce risk, liability, and cost.
- Identify and evaluate the organization’s risk areas and provide input to the development of the annual audit plan.
- Effectively communicate audit results to senior management.
- Coordinate IT audit work with specialist consultants on an as needed basis.
Lead and manage the Company’s Enterprise Risk Management (“ERM”) functions and internal control framework
- Drive the development, oversight and management of Financial Statement and Fraud risk matrices based on the Company’s risk appetite.
- Lead the annual detailed review of the Company’s financial statement and fraud risk matrices, in collaboration with responsible business process owners.
- Oversee the monitoring, assessment and reporting of fraud and financial statement risk activities to ensure compliance with the organization’s “Risk Management” and “Anti-Fraud” policies.
- Assess the control environment and determine whether existing controls are sufficient and appropriate or if additional controls are needed.
- Independently work with business process owners to standardize the global internal controls framework and update key controls, process narratives and risk control matrices.
- Collaborate with the responsible business process owners responsible to oversee regular testing and sub-certification of related internal controls and lead the remediation effort for control failures.
- Assist with IT-related controls, including but not limited to application controls and IPE requirements.
- Liaise with external auditors during their SOX procedures.
- Manage the quarterly and annual assessment processes and reporting.
Administrative management of the Company’s ESG framework
- Using the Company’s inaugural ESG report issued in February 2021, as the framework, articulate an ESG strategy that is directly tied to the business’ annual and long-term strategy and goals.
- Primary responsibility for issuance of the Company’s annual ESG report.
- Create policies, guidelines related to sustainability programs affecting the environment, health, and safety of the organization.
- Work with the business owners of the various initiatives to conduct sustainability assessments and internal reporting on a quarterly basis.
- Manage the due diligence on all department’s ESG policies and guidelines, developing plans to ensure progress of programs.
Provide technical accounting, public reporting and regulatory compliance expertise
- Work cross-functionally with other groups and monitor business activities to ensure timely identification of accounting and financial reporting matters and recommend practical solutions associated with contemplated business transactions.
- Draft and review high-quality accounting memos for significant accounting transactions and provide guidance to operational finance teams to ensure significant transactions are properly accounted for and disclosed in the financial statements.
- Support business development and M&A integration teams during financial due diligence over target companies and subsequent integration of acquired businesses.
- Be a trusted business partner and work closely with stakeholders within Finance and across the company including Legal, FP&A, Corporate Accounting, Tax, Treasury and Investor Relations.
- Work proactively with internal and external auditors to drive timely closure of technical accounting matters and support finance teams to ensure proper accounting and disclosures along with documentation of accounting memos.
- Analyze new and proposed accounting standards and determine the impact on the company and implement new accounting standards, as required.
- Maintain, update, and evaluate accounting policies and procedures in line with US GAAP.
- Participate in both formal and informal reviews to ensure financial statement disclosures are complete and accurate.
- Work cross-functionally with internal teams to ensure compliance with SEC and CSA reporting requirements.
- Assist with preparing of Forms, shareholder letters, proxies and other required SEC and CSA filings.
- Post-secondary degree.
- Designated in accounting program (CPA, CA, CGA, CMA).
- Post-secondary education related to Environmental Science or Engineering would be considered an asset.
- Five years’ experience relating to SOX, financial reporting and analysis, three years post-designation.
- Experience with publicly listed companies in the industrial construction and/or mining experience sectors preferred.
- Minimum of three years of managerial-level experience in corporate sustainability.
- Experience designing or redesigning an ESG program as part of the aforementioned experience.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP and IFRS).
- Knowledge of financial reporting regulatory requirements and Sarbanes-Oxley legislation requirements for Internal Controls over Financial Reporting.
- Knowledge of information technology including use of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) financial, accounting, reporting and transaction processing system (JD Edwards preferred).
- Knowledge of strategic planning and ability to lead financial modelling analysis and evaluation.
- Excellent project management and team leadership skills, including the ability to motivate teams to produce quality, useful reporting and value-added services while working effectively to build trust and confidence with all stake holders.
More search results
CPA Articling & Co-op Positions
Kingston Ross Pasnak LLP - 336976
Alberta Motor Association
Accountant Financial A/R
Assistant Treasurer/ Finance Committee Member
EDMONTON LIFELONG LEARNERS ASSOCIATION (ELLA)
Senior Accountant (Maternity Leave Coverage)