Senior Manager, Finance (13 Month Term Position)
- Calgary Humane Society
- Calgary, Alberta
- Job Industry
- Not-for-profit and Charitable Organizations
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
- Contract (includes summer)
Calgary Humane Society is a dynamic, non-profit organization whose vision is to use innovative strategies to lead, inspire, and educate in the humane treatment of companion animals, fostering an enlightened community which consistently demonstrates respect and compassion for all animals.
Our mission is to help as many animals as we can.
As an organization, CHS values compassion, teamwork, respect, integrity, innovation, and commitment.
Senior Manager, Finance - FULL Time
- 13 Month Term Position -
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Board, and the Audit & Finance Committee, the Senior Manager, Finance is a key member of the senior management team assisting with the strategic development of the Society in delivering leading-edge animal shelter services.
- Oversees development and maintenance of all financial reporting functions and systems.
- Coordinates and monitors all financial activities including timely and accurate preparation and analysis of monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting; the annual budget process; investment monitoring and reconciliation; and maintenance of restricted funds.
- Analyzes compiled financial information to provide informed recommendations to appropriate managers and Executive Director.
- Reviews bi-weekly payroll process ensuring accurate records and regulatory reporting and documentation.
- Ensures compliance with all governmental and regulatory bodies including but not limited to Canada Revenue Agency – quarterly GST filings, payroll remittances, and T3010 annual return.
- Works with external auditor to coordinate the audit process and ensures audit requirements are met including preparation of year-end working papers, reports and financial statements.
- Responsible for continuous improvement of internal financial processes and controls by periodic auditing, documenting and training.
- Ensures finance policies are current, effective, documented, and communicated.
- Negotiates and administers cost effective contracts including coordinating the tender process; managing leases and inventories; ensuring adherence to contracts; and developing and maintaining appropriate reporting mechanisms.
- Identifies and coordinates activities to mitigate the Society’s exposure to risk/liability, including the annual insurance policy renewals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Acts as a member of the Senior Management team, contributing to the development of the strategic direction of CHS and to the organization’s overall Business Plan as orchestrated by the Executive Director and Board.
- Provides direction, leadership, and support to the finance department personnel.
- Communicates on a regular basis with the Senior Management team, Audit and Finance Committee, and all operational team members.
- Represents Calgary Humane Society in financial matters with external parties including vendors, customers, donors and volunteer groups.
- Professional Accounting designation required (CPA-CA, CPA-CMA, CPA-CGA)
- Proficiency and/or direct experience in a similar position demonstrating effective management of financial resources.
- Experience working in a not-for-profit organization and in a volunteer board governed environment an asset.
- Experience in managing suppliers and contracts.
- Computer proficiency: MS Office Suite and Blackbaud Financial Edge experience an asset.
- Genuine concern for the welfare of animals.
- Flexibility to work outside of regular business hours due to committee meetings, events, and emergencies that may occur after regularly scheduled work hours.
- Successful candidate will be required to provide a criminal record check at their own expense to be arranged by CHS
- Proficiency in financial and management accounting.
- Strategic and financial planning ability and proactive and innovative financial leadership.
- Ability to prioritize, work under pressure, and meet set deadlines.
- Ability to lead a team with solid interpersonal skills and inspire confidence in those he/she advises.
- Skill in providing value-added advice on financial matters in the context of the larger organization, including advice on needed corrective actions.
- Ability to coordinate financial processes and information.
- Ability to develop, implement, manage, and evaluate financial systems and processes effectively.
- Ability to identify problems and organize resources for effective resolution.
Closing date: Monday, June 14, 2021
Please submit your cover letter and resume, indicating the job title in the subject line along with salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an Interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.