The Board of Trustees of the Calgary Catholic School District (CCSD) is looking for business professionals with Enterprise Risk Management and Audit backgrounds to join its Audit Committee to act as an objective independent source of advice.
The committee is currently made up of the Board of Trustees and volunteer external members representing the business community. The Board is inviting expression of interest from interested individuals who have the required background to serve an initial two-year term, which may be renewed. This opportunity will provide valuable experience in assisting the Board with strategic governance oversight of the largest Catholic School Division in Alberta, serving over 56,000 students with a budget of approximately $600 million.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- experience with leadership and advisory roles to organizations similar to CCSD in size and complexity.
- experience and knowledge with governance, finance, audit, risk and managing complex systems.
- preference will be given to candidates with Enterprise Risk Management and Audit exposure within Education.
The Audit Committee meets at least four times a year. Each meeting typically lasts 90 minutes.
Mandate of the Audit Committee
The purpose of the Committee is to assist the Board of Trustees in fulfilling its responsibilities in relation to:
- the discharge of its fiduciary responsibilities relating to the District's accounting policies, reporting practices and internal controls, as well as to its risk management policies and practices,
- maintaining direct lines of communications with the Chief Superintendent and with the external auditors, and
- monitoring the scope and costs of the activity of the external auditors and assessing their performance.