- Windermere Golf & Country Club
- Windermere, Edmonton
- Job Industry
- Hospitality, Tourism, and Food Services, Not-for-profit and Charitable Organizations
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Job Title: Controller
The Windermere Golf & Country Club is an equity-based private club in Edmonton, Alberta, and exists for the exclusive use of its shareholders, associate members, their family and invited guests. Windermere’s vision is to be “The Golfer’s Private Club of Choice” and is considered by many to be one of the finest golf clubs in Western Canada. The course has seen a complete renovation and is consistently ranked within the top 100 courses in Canada by Score Golf, most recently 52nd in 2020. The addition of a beautiful new clubhouse in 2011 has allowed the club to elevate its offerings to members and guests. Windermere is committed to providing the membership with an exceptional golfing and social experience.
We are looking for a Controller, reporting to the General Manager. The Controller manages the financial operations of the club, supervises the accounting functions and provides analytical support to the GM, Board and Finance Committee for planning, budgets and solutions to business problems. The Controller recommends, implements and maintains the club’s financial plans, policies, accounting practices, fiscal records and preparation of financial reports. The Controller makes decisions in accordance with club policy on operational matters and ensures the overall operations’ effective achievement of objectives.
- Maintain and coordinate accounting, auditing, budgets, taxes and related activities and records
- Responsible for the club’s internal controls and compliance
- Preparation of monthly financial statements, forecasts and analysis for all managerial functions
- Work with the club’s appointed auditors to manage the annual audit
- Evaluation of operating results for costs, revenues, budgets, polices, trends and potential revenues
- Work directly with senior management team (Superintendent, Head Professional, F&B Manager)
- Serve as a liaison to the club’s finance committee and attend the monthly meeting
- Prepares reports to outline clubs’ financial position in areas of income, expense and earnings
- Responsible for tax planning and compliance with all applicable taxes and payroll filings
- Oversee all payable and receivable accounts in a timely manner
- Administration of the club’s benefit program
- Understanding and involvement in assessing the club’s IT needs and demands
- CPA designation preferred
- Five to seven years of professional accounting experience with at least two years as Controller
- General computer knowledge with a high-level understanding of Microsoft Excel
- Strong communication skills both written and spoken
- Experience with a fully integrated ERP system is required
- Experience managing semi-monthly payroll is required
- Experience with Jonas Club Management and ADP Payworks would be considered an asset
- Knowledge of pertinent Alberta and federal employment laws and practices
- Understanding of group benefit programs
- Strong analytical and overall business awareness (big picture thinking)
- Experience working with Not-For-Profit, Hospitality or related club industry considered an asset
The Windermere Golf & Country Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience. The package includes base salary, bonus potential, medical and dental benefits, RRSP matching, paid vacation, meals, professional development allowance, cell phone allowance, uniform allowance, and golf privileges.
Qualified applicants should apply via e-mail with cover letter and resume to Brice MacDermott, General Manager email@example.com quoting “Windermere Controller” in the subject title by Wednesday June 16th. Projected start date for this position is flexible and dependent on the needs of the successful candidate. Please note the successful candidate will be subject to a criminal record check.
Windermere Golf & Country Club appreciates and thanks all candidates for their interest in applying for this position, however only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.