AIMCo is excited to begin our first CPA Rotational Analyst program. This opportunity will provide you with a unique entry into the accounting field where you will develop a diverse skillset across multiple accounting functions within AIMCo. We are seeking individuals with a passion for the investment management industry and the desire to truly participate in the business rather than be on the outside-looking-in. If you are a soon-to-be or a new graduate who wants to apply your academic learning and gain experience towards your Chartered Professional Accountant designation – keep reading!
In AIMCo’s inaugural CPA Rotational Analyst position, you will have the opportunity to gain meaningful experience across AIMCo’s core accounting departments. Your exposure to different areas of the business will help inform your career trajectory and provide a fresh perspective for our teams as we are always looking for more efficient ways to collaborate. You will receive support and assistance from co-workers as you work towards common goals. Applicants will be considered for one of three rotational streams focused in AIMCo’s Real Estate Financial Operations, Corporate Finance, Investment Finance, and Valuations teams – with all selected individuals completing terms in our Internal Audit department.
In this 30-month rotational program, you will learn to provide meaningful analytics, perform accounting related activities for internal management, clients, or investment teams, and deliver financial reporting to enable AIMCo teams to make informed decisions. You and your managers will focus on building competency in key development areas as you complete your CPA Professional Education Program and pursue your CPA designation.
Your responsibilities will vary as you proceed through your rotation. You will learn the day-to-day operations of each group, learn and complete scheduled reports, and gain experience using MS Excel, SQL, PowerBI, and Simcorp Dimensions (SCD). You will learn to ensure International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) are being adhered to across the organization. You will learn how we apply other basis of accounting for our clients who report using different accounting frameworks.
As your depth of knowledge grows, you will work on more ad hoc requests and be expected to identify efficiencies and implement process changes with support of your team members. As you develop trust and exhibit a high attention to detail, your responsibilities may increase throughout each rotation.
Ideal Candidate Qualifications
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to AIMCo’s core values of excellence, transparency, humility, integrity and collaboration, and inspires the same in others
- A completed undergraduate degree with specific subject area coverage in prerequisite courses to be eligible to enter the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP)
- Awareness of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Canadian Public Sector Accounting Standards and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Microsoft Office Skills (Excel (intermediate-to-advanced), PowerBI, Word, PowerPoint)
- A high degree of intellectual curiosity and intrinsically motivated passion for continuous learning
- Driven to achieve results and continuously striving to deliver the highest performance through creative thinking
- Track record of academic success while balancing extracurricular activities
- Exposure to financial accounting and analytical projects is an asset
- Ability to communicate in an effective and timely manner
- Team-oriented individual who is eager to recognize the accomplishments of team members
- Demonstrated time-management skills and an ability to meet deadlines under pressure
Success of each rotation will be determined by your ability to learn and understand the key functions of your current group. As your depth of knowledge grows, you will assume responsibility for more complex assignments, work on ad hoc requests and be expected to identify efficiencies and implement process changes with support of your team members. As you develop trust and exhibit a high attention to detail, your responsibilities may increase throughout each rotation.
Successful completion of the entire rotational program will be based your ability to take full advantage of the learning opportunities in each term. Your ability to adapt between rotations and share potential efficiencies between groups will increase the opportunity for collaboration at AIMCo. Your team members will depend on you for assistance meeting deadlines and you will be committed to one another’s success. Based on your efforts and with coaching and support from supervisors you will be that much closer to attaining your CPA designation.
Benefits and Rewards
- Exciting special project work and stretch assignments
- Ongoing training and coaching
- Health care spending account and onsite fitness facilities
AIMCo is one of Canada’s largest and most diversified investment managers, with over $118 billion of assets under management for 32 clients, a diverse group of Alberta public sector pension plans, endowment funds, and government accounts representing all Albertans.
We are guided by the core values of excellence, transparency, humility, integrity and collaboration.
AIMCo is mindful and responsive to actively evaluating, assessing and optimizing risk to achieve superior performance for Albertans. We believe that every employee is empowered and accountable for managing risk.
We are excited to meet you. Please submit your resume or CV to be considered for this opportunity. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis, we will be in touch with any questions.
NOTE: Final candidates will be asked to undergo a security screening, which includes a credit bureau and a criminal record investigation, the results of which must be acceptable to AIMCo.