At carya (formerly Calgary Family Services), we know that the strength of our community is rooted in its people. That’s why we’ve dedicated more than 105 years of service to creating healthier, more connected communities in Calgary.
With numerous programs for youth, families, and older adults, we provide a spectrum of mental health and social inclusion services for people of all ages - from babies to youth to older adults - and their support networks. Our highly skilled team encourages thousands of Calgarians each year to discover their full potential and build flourishing relationships with their families and community.
This position reports to Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
What you’ll do
The General Accountant under the general direction of the CFO or designate is responsible for providing financial transaction support, general ledger oversight, and support to the activities of the accounting, payroll and IT functions in the Finance Department. The Accountant will support the CFO or designate in all areas of general accounting including annual budget, year-end reporting and financial reporting to external funders and partners.
- Full cycle accounting entries and reconciliation of accounts
- Monitor revenue and expenses for specific programs
- Prepare various financial reports, cash flow, and analysis on a monthly/quarterly basis as required by specific funders
- Prepare journal entries, accruals and adjustments
- Ensure accounting entries and purchasing activities are aligned with policies and procedures
- Provide advice and assistance relating to financial analysis, budgeting, forecasting, and reporting
- Assist in budget preparation including liaising with staff and management
- Prepare for annual audit review
- Be familiar and assist with the administration of corporate contracts including, but not limited to, insurance, leasing, rental contracts, parking, telephone, and information technology
- Maintain an accurate inventory system for equipment, furnishings and other capital assets
- Key contact for external IT contract and liaison between staff and IT provider
- Purchasing and distribution of equipment to business units
- Maintain accurate project documents and filing systems for identified programs
- Keep current on knowledge of agency policy and procedures and organizational decisions
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with staff, colleagues, service providers, partners and stakeholders
- Perform other duties and special projects as required
- Accounting Certificate or Diploma and 5-7 years experience in Accounting and Financial Management
- Current enrollment or completion of Professional Accounting Designation
- A combination of education and experience will be considered
- Experience in non profit accounting working with multiple projects and programs
- High degree of IT literacy and ability to make IT related decisions
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Exceptional interpersonal written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Teams
- Strong proficiency with a mid-size accounting system such as QuickBooks Premier
- Strong aptitude for learning new software applications
- Sound knowledge of data management software and Payroll/HRIS software
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills with the ability to detect errors and their source
Please note the successful candidate must complete a Criminal Record Check.
Full Time Regular (37.5 hours per week)
$54,200 - $68,700 per annum
carya offers a comprehensive benefits package, excellent work/life balance and paid time off
Closing Date: Until suitable candidate is found
To apply: Please send your resume and cover letter in PDF format to email@example.com.
Carya is an equal opportunity employer. Persons from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.