Reporting to the Director, Finance, the Accountant is responsible for the timely and accurate delivery of finance and accounting services including payroll, reporting, analysis, monitoring controls and performance and developing policies and procedures in accordance with applicable accounting standards, legislation, regulations, and best practices. This includes monthly/quarterly and annual reporting; supporting budgeting and forecasting; developing and enforcing policies and procedures; and supporting the Finance department in the achievement of the objectives and delivery of finance services.
- Maintaining and processing bi-weekly payroll for all employees: including collaborating with HR department, calculating and processing adjustments, posting payroll entries and payroll reporting.
- Reviewing and recording APEGA branch financial operations and financial results and ensuring compliance with relevant policies and procedures.
- Coordinating all financial areas of APEGA Pension funds including developing a working relationship with the service providers, ensuring accurate and complete financial documentation, prepare financial statements and facilitate external audits.
- Completing regulatory filings and remittances to comply with provincial and federal government requirements.
- Supporting the administration and coordination of full cycle accounting and financial processes including month end/ quarter end and year end reporting; monthly reconciliations for Bank accounts AR, and AP and facilitating internal/external audit processes
- Providing support in the preparation of financial statements and assist in the development of standard internal reporting practices to support management in the analysis and evaluation of financial information.
- Supporting the budgeting and forecasting processes annually and quarterly using payroll data to project salaries and related expenses.
- Maintaining the contract management system.
- Developing and updating applicable policies and procedures for the standardization of APEGA's financial practices and the alignment of the practices to industry standards.
- Identifying opportunities for automating manual process to improve efficiency and recommending new features for system enhancement.
- Actively participating in the development and implementation of finance initiatives.
- Actively collaborating with the development, preparation, and documentation of cash management strategies.
- Keeping current with relevant developments and trends in the accounting profession such as taxation legislation, GAAP standards and auditing practices.
- Assisting in the delivery of value-added financial services to the organization that reflect the business objectives of the Finance team.
Competencies, Skills & Attributes
- Core Competencies: Exemplifying Integrity, Fostering Communication, Results Orientation, Service Excellence, and Teamwork.
- Functional Competencies: Accounting & Reporting, Attention to Detail, Information Gathering and Processing, Processing and Recording Financial Transactions, and Reconciliation and Analysis.
- Working knowledge of payroll, GAAP and current accounting principles, standards and best practices
- Knowledge of confidentiality protocols; privacy requirements; business planning and financial management.
- Working knowledge of pension accounting and related pension funds financial information.
- Excellent strategic communication skills and ability to deliver professional customer service.
- Plan and troubleshoot to address issues and roadblocks as they arise.
- Proficient research and document management skills.
- High proficiency in computer applications (MS Word, Excel and Outlook) easy adaptability to ERP and HRIS software (eg. Microsoft Dynamics GP and Ceridian Dayforce).
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work effectively and productively in a team environment.
- Functions with a high degree of independence, sets priorities and meet time-sensitive deadlines.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy to provide effective financial analysis.
- Post-secondary degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or a related field combined with a CPA designation.
- Certified in Payroll Administration or equivalent experience in payroll processing.
- Combined with 3-5 years of full cycle accounting, including financial statements preparation, reporting, analysis and payroll.
- Experience administering a mid-size ERP would be considered an asset.
- Prior experience in a not-for-profit organization is an asset.
- Prior experience with Ceridian Dayforce and SAP Concur is an asset.
- This position will work remotely to start and will transition to the APEGA office when appropriate and within government guidelines. Employees are required to have a designated confidential workspace at home with quality internet