Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
This is a unique opportunity to apply what you learned in the classroom as a member of our high performing Accounting and Reporting team. In this role, you will rotate through a number of positions, working with different leaders who will share their unique perspectives and expertise as you grow and develop your technical competencies and capabilities. You will build a strong internal network, while having the opportunity to learn about and interact with the business. As part of the program, each rotation will include job specific training so that you are set up for success, and supported in obtaining your CPA experience requirements.
- Corporate Accounting & Reporting: Leads the corporate financial close process through setting and managing associated controls and processes, preparing financial statements and reports in compliance with external requirements, and accounts, analyzes and reports for treasury, tax, and payroll functions.
- Property Accounting: Responsible for the accurate accounting, analysis and reporting of over $20 billion in capital assets in partnership with corresponding internal stakeholders.
- Project Accounting: Responsible for the accurate accounting, analysis and reporting of annual project spend of over $1 billion by working closely with project managers and other business groups.
- Operational Accounting: Responsible for partnering with the business to ensure accurate accounting, analysis and reporting of financial results for the Operations and Support functions.
- Accounting Policy: Ensures that CP’s accounting policies are appropriate to meet business objectives while being compliant with GAAP and that unusual and complex transactions are appropriately accounted for.
- Internal Controls: Ensures effective risk management by assisting in the development and sustainment of internal control policies, procedures and processes; monitoring compliance with SOX requirements.
- Undergraduate degree in Business, Commerce, Accounting, Finance, or other relevant fields;
- Currently pursuing or planning to pursue a professional accounting designation is desirable (CPA);
- 0-3 years’ work experience;
- Strong knowledge of accounting;
- Advanced analytics, including expert knowledge of Microsoft Excel abilities;
- SAP and/or Business Planning and Consolidation (BPC) experience is an asset;
- Financial acumen and ability to practically apply financial principles & theories;
- Strong organizational, time management and relationship management skills;
- Ability to manage conflicting timelines/requirements and prioritize;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Good communication skills;
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment; and
- Willingness to provide and accept feedback.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").