- TOM Capital Management Inc.
- Downtown Calgary
- Compensation will vary with qualifications.
- Job Industry
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
TOM Capital Management is looking for a Senior Accountant to add to its high-performance team which provides services to the firm itself, as well as its operating entities.
TOM is a well-funded investment firm involved in a wide range of business structures and operations. If you are somebody who wants to think critically, learn constantly and be an important part of a multi-disciplinary and high functioning team, then TOM may be a match for you.
What you will do:
Reporting directly to the Controller, this role will include but is not limited to the following functions:
- Assist in the review and completion of monthly and annual financial statements, both internally and those of our operating entities.
- Prepare annual consolidated financial statements for various mutual fund trusts.
- Review cash disbursements processing, including bank and other account reconciliations.
- Administration and control of project accounting for certain operating entities on a continual basis. This includes reconciling project accounting to a general ledger, producing accurate and timely reports, analyzing project costs versus budgets, and documenting variance for discussions with the supervisor.
- Preparation of tax returns (T2, T5013, and T3) including supplementary and regulatory forms (T1135, T1134, T106, T4, and T5) including all related working papers, for all the entities under management.
- Ensure local compliance with corporate internal control framework.
- Perform periodic internal audits and financial reviews of our operating entities making sure processes and control systems are well documents and are being implemented properly.
- Provide support to other members of the accounting team.
What you bring to the role:
- Considerable accounting experience in an organization with numerous different investment vehicles that do not necessarily have business operations but may only hold investments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently, with little supervision, and within a team environment.
- Strong project management and organizational skills with keen attention to detail and ability to multi-task and also understand the big-picture.
- Strong computer skills, particularly with MS Office products and most importantly MS Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to perform well under pressure, be adaptable, and take initiative
Keys to your success:
- Bachelor’s degree in commerce or business administration (accounting or finance major preferred).
- Completion of the CPA designation.
- 3 - 5 years post-graduate experience with exposure to a variety of industries.
- Extensive understanding of relevant tax legislation and experience working with Canadian income taxation. Understanding international tax matters will be a plus.
- Knowledge of project accounting and experience with Sage 50 and Tax Prep preferred.
Our work environment is casual and friendly, but we know how to get work done. Work-life balance is important to us, so work hours can be flexible depending on your situation.
If this sounds like an interesting opportunity that fits your background, we look forward to reviewing your resume.