Director of Finance
Hull Services has an organizational commitment to pursuing truth and reconciliation, anti-colonialization and anti-oppression.
Hull Services is a registered and accredited charitable, multi-service organization that offers a range of evidence-based and evidence-informed programs to support children, youth and families to overcome challenges and build resilience. Hull’s programs and services include prevention, early intervention, in-home support, kinship and foster care, group care, school day treatment, therapeutic campus-based care, secure and stabilization programs, supported interdependent living and education and training services.
Hull Services has been operating for over 58 years and currently generates over $45 Million in revenues annually through its work with various levels of government, community, fundraising and sponsorship.
Reporting to the Executive Director as a member of the Senior Operations Team, the Director of Finance will participate in organizational planning and fiscal oversight that supports the advancement of Hull Services’ vision, mission, values, and strategic priorities to achieve strong social impact and financial performance. The Director of Finance uses their financial knowledge, analytical skills and business acumen to maintain and advance the organization’s strong fiscal position, to lead the continuous evolution of technological deployment, manage organizational risks and support innovation. This position is responsible for the leadership of Accounting, Payroll and Benefits, and IT services partnership.
- Oversee Finance strategies and provide leadership to the Controller and our strategic IT services partner in planning and implementation of strategy to deliver on current operational priorities.
- Collaborate with senior leaders and board of governors in business planning and operational oversight of organizational priorities and strategic projects.
- Define, implement and drive strategic initiatives to improve internal and external facing processes and operations, working closely with cross-functional teams, leadership and partners.
- Serve as a thought leader in addressing complex challenges through the delivery of strategic insights and recommendations and by working with business stakeholders across the organization.
- Equip and support program leaders to manage their budgets in a way that is sustainable, accountable and considers the health of the whole organization.
- Provide financial reports and expertise to the Executive Director and the Board Audit Committee.
- Provide leadership to the Finance team, inspiring a commitment to Hull Services’ vision and mission and to the achievement of high performance in all areas of the business.
- Inspire, empower, build capacity and shape how the Finance team delivers impact, efficiencies and strong results across the organization, and develops scalable processes.
- Translate the vision and strategic plan into meaningful, specific and practical annual work plans and ensure execution by the team.
- Hold the team accountable for achieving established work-plans and targets through regular follow-up, feedback and coaching.
- Focus on developing future talent and leaders in the organization and building capacity, developing, empowering and inspiring the individuals within the Finance team and across the organization.
- Recruit, onboard, train, mentor and performance manage the Finance team, utilizing Human Resources best practices, policies and processes to ensure a high-performing team.
- Develop and maintain effective financial planning, financial and budgetary controls and policies to ensure alignment with strategic and business plan priorities.
- Oversee the development, refinement, and direct use of accounting and payroll systems and internal control of those systems.
- Develop and monitor the organization's budget and financial reporting, using forecasts and models to determine how to allocate funds and maintain compliance.
- Monitor charitable tax receipting to ensure compliance with the charity’s registration and exemption under the Income Tax Act of Canada.
- In collaboration with the Controller, evaluate the organization's financial and business initiative performance, generating reports, analysis, and models.
- In collaboration with the Controller, direct the coordination of all external audits and work with internal teams to meet operating goals.
- Direct the identification and development of improved payroll and benefit processes, policies and practices to ensure compliance and efficiency.
- Manage risks related to the organization’s financial and capital resources through oversight and compliance with legislative and contractual obligations.
- Oversee the development of transfer of risk of all aspects of the organization’s activities through insurance policies.
- Ensure adequate controls are installed to safeguard financial assets by protecting against mismanagement, fraud, and non-compliance, substantiating documentation is approved and available, and that all accounts pass statutory financial, internal audits.
- Establish and monitor internal controls and financial policies, processes and procedures to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance with established legal regulatory and company policies and procedures.
- Implementation and management of internal controls with respect to financial policies, processes and procedures.
- Provide consultation on the development of funding application strategies, project planning and execution.
- Oversee the strategic development of IT and telecommunication solutions that improve business efficiency and directly manage information technology function, including data management, security, back up, technology upgrades & implementation in consultation with designated external contractor(s).
- Lead the development, review and administration of all business contracts and liaise with external contractors as required. Negotiate and draft contracts in collaboration with external legal services.
- In collaboration with internal stakeholders, prepare RFP documentation (including descriptions of services, instructions to participants, price matrix, etc.)
- Oversee and direct procurement processes and file management for the entire organization.
- Deliver high quality executive and team communications: develop narratives, collaborate with cross-functional teams on content and own delivery of messaging across the organization.
- Champion key changes to processes, including detailed design and execution of changes required to achieve future state objectives.
- Act as a trusted advisor across the organization from a financial lens to ensure workflows drive sustainable business behaviors.
- Foster external relations with critical business partners including external investment manager, vendors and external auditors.
- Oversee and drive the continuous evaluation and improvement of operations to ensure they remain aligned with and support the core business and strategic plan.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Post-Secondary Degree combined with an accounting designation (CPA).
- Minimum of 10+ years of progressive experience in finance and leadership with solid business acumen.
- Proficiency in Dynamics GP and BI360 is required. Experience with Avanti and Raiser’s Edge would be considered an asset.
- Extensive knowledge of all aspects of corporate accounting and financial management with advanced knowledge of MS Office and Excel.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
- Thorough knowledge of all relevant Federal, Provincial and local requirements regarding financial records.
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector would be considered an asset.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative and results-oriented environment.
- Excellent interpersonal qualities including flexibility, effective communication, positivity, and relationship building skills.
- An ability to maintain effective, collaborative and professional working relations with all Agency programs and departments, as well as funders, community partners and stakeholders.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast past and growing environment.
- Discretion, tact and ability to maintain confidential information.
- A strong work ethic, self-motivated and strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and effective stewardship of financial resources.
- A clear police check, including a vulnerable sector search, is required (or is in process of being completed) prior to employment.
- Clear Child Intervention Record Check.
- Please direct your cover letter and resume to email@example.com, indicating “Your Name – Director of Finance” in the subject line of your email.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.
We thank all applicants who are interested in this position, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications for this position are accepted on an ongoing basis.
At Hull, one of our core values is Inclusion and we seek to understand people’s lived experience, holding a deep respect for their unique backgrounds, ethnicities, abilities, cultures and identities. It is our desire to humbly build trust and mutual respect with the people we serve who have often been marginalized and oppressed for their differences. To achieve this, Hull seeks open, self-aware individuals who reflect the diversity of those we serve and can help us build a safe, healthy, inclusive culture. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, place of origin, religious beliefs, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, family status, or sexual orientation.