Wood Buffalo Environmental Association
The Wood Buffalo Environmental Association (WBEA) monitors the environment of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo in north-eastern Alberta. Our environmental monitoring work is the most integrated and intensive focus on air and terrestrial monitoring in any one area, anywhere in Canada. The WBEA is committed to reporting accurate and timely high-quality data from our Ambient Air Monitoring (AAM), Terrestrial Environmental Effects Monitoring (TEEM), and Community Odour Monitoring (OMP) Programs to ensure regional stakeholders have the information they need to make informed environmental decisions.
The WBEA is currently seeking a permanent, full-time Bookkeeper to join our team. The Bookkeeper is responsible for completing the full-cycle accounting duties of the Organization, including processing accounts payable and receivables, managing bank reconciliations, processing payroll, and report writing (as required).
The Bookkeeper reports to the Controller and works with WBEA employees and other stakeholders (CRA, Auditors, etc.) as required. The Bookkeeper will ensure the accuracy and efficiency of the Organization’s accounting operations and will interpret and apply accounting policies, rules, and regulations to their work to ensure compliance with applicable standards. The Bookkeeper provides backup to the Controller in the Controller’s absence.
Reporting to the WBEA Controller, you will be responsible for:
- Ensuring accounting procedures are executed in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Reviewing Labour, Equipment, Material (LEM) invoices for mathematical accuracy, valid coding, and approval.
- Responding to internal and external accounts payable inquiries, including assisting co-workers with the interpretation of policies and procedures, and ensuring compliance.
- Processing all payments and preparing bank deposits.
- Preparing detailed reconciliation of accounts and statements for internal staff.
- Maintaining a detailed Capital Assets listing.
- Processing bi-weekly payroll, updating employee payroll files, processing employee requests, preparing Record of Employments, and preparing and distributing Employee T4s.
- Managing employee benefits, including RRSP accounts.
- Preparing and processing prepaid monthly expenses.
- Completing credit applications, as required.
- Maintaining and posting monthly preauthorized payments.
- Completing weekly credit card reconciliation.
- Preparing, processing, and tracking accrued liabilities.
- Preparing and processing general journal entries, as required.
- Maintaining and tracking company fuel cards.
- Printing and distributing bi-monthly financial reports.
- Participating in the year-end audit.
- Participating in staff meetings and training programs as required.
- Supporting other administrative and accounting functions within the WBEA
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Post-Secondary Education in a related field (Accounting or Finance) is desired.
- A designation in PCP, CPA, or CPB would be considered an asset.
- A strong understanding of full-cycle accounting and thorough knowledge of GAAP.
- A minimum of 10 years in a similar role; experience bookkeeping for non-profit Organizations an asset.
- Experience with accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and general ledger.
- In-depth knowledge of Sage 50, Simply Accounting, and Microsoft Office applications, specifically Excel.
- Self-motivated and able to work with limited supervision.
- Strong organizational skills with a high level of attention to detail combined with a high degree of resourcefulness, judgment, integrity, confidentiality, and discretion.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to balance competing priorities and meet deadlines.
- A demonstrated ability to work with multiple parties and stakeholders.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills are required.
- Post-Secondary Education in a related field of accounting, bookkeeping, and payroll
- A valid driver’s license with a clean driving record.
Schedule: Full-time, 40 hours per week at 8 hours per day from Monday to Friday. Overtime may be required periodically, depending on operational needs.
Employment Status: Full-time, permanent
Work Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta
For more information, visit: http://www.wbea.org
Application Instructions: Please submit a resume and cover letter that outlines why your skills, experience, and personality would make you an excellent candidate for the Bookkeeper role at the WBEA. If you are interested in joining our team, please apply here: https://www.fitzii.com/apply/58259?s=c3
Application Deadline: Friday, July 23, 2021, at 5:00 p.m. MST.
We offer our employees an attractive compensation package that includes a competitive salary, above-market group health benefits, a group RRSP plan, a northern allowance, and a commitment to career development.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.