The Town of Cochrane is located in the breathtaking Bow Valley corridor in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in southern Alberta. With a population of over 29,000 people, and growing steadily every year, Cochrane is a thriving town, surrounded by world-famous ranch country. Our western heritage is reflected in the Town’s architecture and our friendly people. The Town of Cochrane welcomes innovative and skilled individuals to join our team of over 250 employees.
RECOGNIZING DIVERSE FINANCIAL NEEDS WITH INTEGRITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY, WHILE PROVIDING EXCEPTIONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE. This is our Financial Services WHY Statement. This is Why we do the work we do; if this Why statement aligns with your values, we welcome your application for the Senior Accountant. That is, as long as you are a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA); that’s a requirement for this position.
Ok, but what is a Senior Accountant at the Town of Cochrane?
The Senior Accountant is accountable for the integrity of the Town of Cochrane's financial reporting, budgeting, analysis, project accounting, strategic financial planning and stability.
But this role is more than that. This is a supervisory role that provides guidance and leads a team of staff in the daily processing of financial transactions, reporting, and customer service functions. This team is a group of hardworking finance professionals and administrators. We are looking for someone who is willing to share their expertise in this customer service focused team atmosphere.
The Town of Cochrane is a rapidly growing community. A key focus in this role will be innovation through technology and process improvements to ensure the long-term financial success for the Town. This position ensures efficient financial controls and procedures, and timely and accurate financial information for external and internal stakeholders.
Why should you consider working for us?
Our employees enjoy many benefits including competitive public sector pay, comprehensive health and dental benefits package, professional learning and development opportunities and the opportunity to work with other talented municipal professionals.
As an organization, the Town of Cochrane has a focus on investing in people. This is not a boring municipality. We are growing into an organization with a focus on transparency, critical thinking, curiosity, reflection and innovation. We support experimentation as part of the growth process and strive for continuous improvement. We are municipal employees and we are accountable to all the residents of the Town of Cochrane. Want to be a part of this exciting time?
What does the Senior Accountant do day-to-day?
- Lead internal financial activities and ensure accuracy, completeness, and integrity of financial records and reports. Lead the interim and year end audit activities.
- Conduct analysis and review financial information for tangible capital assets, budget variances, reports on errors/efficiencies and financial projections.
- Maintain the general ledger and prepare adjusting and correcting entries.
- Approve monthly, quarterly, annual journal entries, reconciliations.
- Provide day-to-day supervision, coaching and training for the Finance Services team and expertise to internal and external stakeholders.
- Prepare financial reports for Council.
- Identify and implement improvements to financial control inefficiencies.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- Post-secondary degree in Finance, Accounting, or an accounting-related field.
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) Designation.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in accounting, preferably in a municipal environment, and minimum 5 years of supervisory experience, leading and engaging staff.
- Experience with financial ERP systems, preferably Great Plains Dynamics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial systems, Management Reporter, Questica and Caseware is an asset. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Suite programs, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Knowledge of business processes, management, budgeting and financial information principles.
- Excellent analytical and ability to interpret and report technical information. Strategic thinking.
- Familiarity with the Public Sector accounting requirements and practices, demonstrated knowledge of the Municipal Government Act (MGA), and strong understanding of the Canadian Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS).
- High attention to accuracy and detail. Ability to influence and persuade. Excellent time management and organizational skills. Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines. Ability to achieve performance objectives and business goals.
- Change leadership skills for process improvement and technological advancement.
The Town of Cochrane is committed to providing a healthy and safe work environment for all of its employees. As a Town of Cochrane employee you must take reasonable care to protect your health and safety and that of others present at Town worksites, perform work safely, follow all relevant health and safety legislation, Town directives and procedures and attend all identified orientations and training.
Still interested? Here’s how to apply:
- Qualified individuals are encouraged to submit your resume, and a letter stating how your experience match the required qualifications, skills and abilities for this position
- All qualified candidates will be requested to complete an online suitability survey
- Applications for this position will be accepted until 9pm MST August 1, 2021 at www.cochrane.ca/jobs
The Town of Cochrane adheres to guidelines as set by Alberta Heath Services in response to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Working arrangements and interview location may evolve throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants must be legally entitled to live and work in Canada