- Capstone Asset Management
- #218 – 20353 64th Ave., Langley, BC V2Y 1N5
- Job Industry
- Job Category
- CPA Candidate Position – experience verification route
- Job Type
Chief Financial Officer – Capstone Asset Management
This executive search is conducted by Nelson/Kraft & Associates on behalf of Capstone Asset Management.
Capstone Asset Management is dedicated to the growth and preservation of our client’s investments. By investing in both traditional and non-traditional assets, we seek to provide investors with the maximum return for the level of risk taken.
Our team consists of highly qualified professionals with a diverse range of industry experience, knowledge and expertise needed to achieve excellent investment outcomes.
Capstone, headquartered in Langley, BC, is seeking a Chief Financial Officer to provide collaborative leadership and overall financial management for the business. As a member of the senior leadership team, the CFO will implement the strategic improvements required to handle the increased complexity and sophistication associated with aggressive growth planned over the next 5 to 7 years.
We strive to always uphold our values and to practice the highest ethical standards. The values of Integrity, Excellence, Contemplation, Service and a Biblically informed approach form the foundation of our business decisions and practices.
Reporting to the President/CIO, the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will be responsible for providing leadership and financial management in the areas of strategic planning, corporate and fund tax structuring, audit reporting, legal, risk management, budgeting, P&L improvement, organizational structure/HR, information technology, and effective and efficient internal financial and business processes.
As a member of the senior leadership team, consisting of the President/CIO, Chief Compliance Officer, and the Senior Portfolio Manager, the CFO will provide a collaborative leadership style while being empowered to implement the strategic improvements in the business to handle the increased complexity and sophistication associated with aggressive growth. The CFO will shape and implement the fund tax structures, internal processes, infrastructure/systems, organization, and external partnerships needed to support the growth over the next 5-7 years.
In alignment with the vision, mission and values of the organization, the CFO will create a positive team culture and uphold high standards of excellence, conduct and principles to safeguard both the integrity and reputation of the business, while driving continuous improvement and innovation.
- As a strategic partner to the President/CIO, assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and the company’s long-term strategy with a keen eye to continuously develop and improve systems.
- Provide advice on financial issues, tax and fund structuring, trends and changes in operating and delivery models by staying current and on the forefront of industry best practices.
- Assist in establishing yearly objectives and attaining organizational goals, and drive business improvement using metrics and KPI’s most relevant to the investment industry.
- Collaboratively select, engage and maintain healthy relationships with external consultants and professionals (auditors, tax accountants, lawyers, bankers, financers, etc.).
- Lead the information technology plan for the future and implement it successfully to meet future IT needs (hardware and software) as the organization grows.
- Ensure the organizational structure and human resources are efficient through the development and implementation of an effective organizational structure, HR strategies, communication, policies, and procedures including recruitment, training, coaching, performance management and compensation.
Financial Planning & Analysis
- Oversee corporate cash, investment, asset management, financial strategies and activities, as well as banking relationships.
- Accountable for budgeting, financial forecasting, and tax structuring for existing programs and investment funds, as well as prospective new funds and ventures.
- Establish internal audit on firms Investment Funds Net Asset Values, and private investment valuations.
- Monitor financial performance by measuring and analyzing results, initiating corrective actions, and minimizing the impact of variances.
- Develop financial well-being of the organization by providing financial projections and accounting services, preparing growth plans, as well as hiring, retaining and directing staff.
- Prepare and maintain regular financial planning reports, monthly profit and loss forecast and quarterly cash flow forecast.
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analysis to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans.
- Oversee the accounting team to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and function; supervise finance staff and technology team
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures. Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy and usefulness of financial and management reporting. Oversee the preparation of monthly and annual financial statements. Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger.
- Oversee preparation of month-end, quarterly and year-end financial statements. Coordinate all audit activities and proper filing of tax returns. Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Manage and oversee the relationship with external auditors; manage preparation and support of all external audits.
- Communicate externally with clients and their accountants as well as internally to the Portfolio Managers and Capstone’s Private Wealth Team.
- Support the implementation of new investment strategies and investment solutions in current domestic markets as well as new foreign markets.
- Lead the organization of a corporate structure to effectively move beyond the historical practise model and into an efficient future state corporate model.
- Support a cohesive senior leadership team which helps Capstone achieve its goals. Provide up to date industry knowledge by remaining aware of new regulations, participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Identify opportunities for improvement, cost reduction, and systems enhancement, and accumulating capital to fund business growth.
Legal, Insurance & Risk
- Identify and manage business risks and insurance requirements. Collaboratively manage and negotiate the corporations’ insurance program and real estate affairs including acquisitions, leases and sub-leases.
- Implement and oversee prudent business continuity, crisis management, public relations, and contingency planning and risk management strategies.
- Cultivate and manage external relationships with legal advisers, insurers, and tax accountants.
- CPA designation required
- MBA or CFA designation preferred
- 10+ years professional accounting experience.
- Previous CFO experience preferred. Experience should include public accounting practice, legal, audit, taxation, risk, compliance and financial management. Experience in investment pool structuring would be an asset.
- Finance experience within an investment firm environment with Fund legal and tax structuring preferred.
- Excellent people skills, with a collaborative leadership style and experience working in a senior leadership team.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems.
- A forward-looking leader who is strategic and thinks and plans ahead.
- Demonstrated success leading a finance team within a growing and complex business.
- A clear communicator, capable of effective delegation, and the building of strong interpersonal relationships and successful teams.
- Fully aligned with Capstone’s values of Integrity, Excellence, Contemplation, Service, and a Biblically informed approach.
Application Deadline: August 6, 2021 Location: Langley, BC
Send a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
To obtain a complete Opportunity Profile, please visit our website.
Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. is an executive search firm specializing in the recruitment of executive management and fundraising personnel in the charitable sector. We work with a diverse group of not-for-profit organizations through the connection of colleagues in Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Toronto.
Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.