Associate Director , Finance
Rupertsland Institute is looking for a hands-on accountant as their Associate Director of Finance. Reporting to the Director of Finance and Corporate Services, the Associate Director of Finance ensures accurate and efficient financial, payroll, purchasing, records management, and reception functions. In the absence of the Director, the Associate Director of Finance may be required to assume additional responsibilities.
As directed by the Director of Finance and Corporate Services (DFC), draft the annual expenditure plan and ensure that proposed expenditures meet the terms and conditions of the Alberta Métis Education and Training Strategy (AMETS) and other funding agreements;
Support the reporting role of the Director of Finance and Corporate Services by:
o Supervising and directing a complement of four departmental employees.
o Providing financial claims and report as required by the Chief Executive Officer and the Senior Director of Operations, RLI Board Governor members (BOG) and stakeholders as per established deadlines;
o Advising the Director of any financial concerns that may expose the organization to financial risks or areas that funding may need to be considered;
o Setting up GL accounts
o Formatting new financial statements as new funding agreements are introduced to RLI;
o Supervising and directing, as required, Finance and Corporate Services staff and other clerical support staff.
Ensure that Finance and Corporate Services functions are completed in a professional and timely manner. This includes, but it is not limited to, the following tasks:
o Ensure that T4s and T4As forms for all pertinent parties (clients, staff and BOG members) are submitted on time;
o Collect and provide all appropriate information needed for the annual audit;
o Ensuring that CRA remittances, credit card payments and other expenditures are accurate and made at specified intervals;
o Providing timely financial statements to the BOG, Senior Team Services and the Regional Team Services;
o Drafting, for the Director quarterly variance reports that compare expenditures and projections to the annual budget;
o Ensuring accurate entry into the system of payroll, vacation, personal time, overtime and benefits;
o Maintain the RLI Human Resource Information System (HRIS).
· Other duties as required.
· Post-Secondary Degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, or related studies.
· CPA (CMA, CGA, or CA) designation is required, or incumbent is currently enrolled in CPA program.
· 3-5 years of direct experience in accounting and administration.
· Knowledge, skills, and experience in supervisory practices and principles.
· Knowledge of SAGE or other computerized accounting systems and applications.
· Understanding of IT networks and software is an asset.
· Knowledge of Métis history, culture, and issues affecting Métis people.
· Superior written and oral communication skills.
· Effective report writing skills.
· Energetic with excellent interpersonal skills.
· Sound judgement and problem-solving skills.
· Strong knowledge of applicable employment legislation.
· Ability to read and interpret legislation.
· Strong sense of ethics, and the ability to handle sensitive or confidential information with tact and discretion.
Rupertsland Institute (RLI) Offers:
· A competitive salary
· A comprehensive benefits package
· Employer matching pension plan
· Generous flex days and vacation time
· Culturally rich working environment
· Continuous learning opportunities
· And other perks!
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter by July 26, 2021, quoting ‘AD-Finance’ in your email subject line.
Application deadline: 2021-07-26
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent