NAIT is proud to be named one of Alberta’s Top Employers for 10 consecutive years. We are also a proud partner of the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion and Pride at Work Canada. Learn more about NAIT’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion at nait.ca/edi.
The position will report directly to the Chair of the Audit Sub-committee of the Board, and then administratively to the Associate Vice President, Finance & Corporate Services. This role will be required to develop the mandate of the Internal Audit function, as well as processes, systems, and methodology. The Internal Audit function will provide the organization with an objective appraisal of the adequacy, completeness and effectiveness of internal financial and management controls within its operations, and provide recommendations for business risk and control improvements.
This role will serve as both an “independent critic” and a “constructive advisor” to Management. A key challenge of the role will be to balance the entrepreneurial activities, the proposed new academic model, along with growth phases with a practical, common sense approach to business and operational risk.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive audit risk analysis system and manage manpower requirements to implement a risk-based audit plan. Communicate and coordinate efforts with the external auditors.
- Direct the performance of audit and consulting assignments to meet professional standards ensuring a quality and value-added approach and introduce new methodologies and best practices (and continuous improvements).
- Prepare and present oral and written reports to the Audit Sub-Committee, Executive Committee, and potentially the Board of Governors’.
- Provide advice to the Associate Vice President, Finance and Corporate Services and other members of senior management on internal controls, operational risk, business processes, and governance issues.
- Direct the performance of special investigations and monitor the status of ethical business conduct in the organization.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with operations management
- Provide assistance to and motivate management and staff to improve the quality and effectiveness of its business risk control environment, through audit and consulting activities.
- Keep current with new methodologies and best practices, which requires involvement in benchmarking activities and professional organizations.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to gain management confidence, be persuasive and professional, and deal with sensitive or controversial issues.
- Comfort with risk consulting, creating value for internal clients, building partnership approaches internally and in a consultative approach
- Excellent time-management and project management skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Professional Accounting Designation - CPA
- Several years of leading teams in carrying out audits. Direct internal audit experience, and value for money audit experience, is an asset
Remuneration: $4,593.21 - $6,085.33 bi-weekly, plus a comprehensive benefits package
Thank you for your application however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from World Education Services or the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) - http://work.alberta.ca/immigration/international-qualifications-assessment-service.html