Senior Advisor - Enterprise Risk Management
- Alberta Health Services
- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- $34.52 - $59.20 per hour
- Job Industry
- Health Care and Social Services
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Senior Advisor - Enterprise Risk Management
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Requisition #: ALB00218793
Salary Range: $34.52 - $59.20 per hour
Job Type: Regular Full Time
As a knowledgeable, enthusiastic risk management professional, you know that enterprise risk management isn’t just a defensive strategy – it can directly contribute to an organization’s success. Alberta Health Services (AHS) is looking for someone like you to join our Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) team, where you’ll contribute to building risk awareness, improving risk management maturity, and championing practical, efficient, and effective risk management practices that support AHS’s vision, mission, and values.
Reporting to the Director, ERM, the Senior Advisor, will provide risk advisory services and share their expertise to help coordinate the ERM policy and processes that facilitate a consistent approach to identifying, reporting, and monitoring organizational risks. In this role, you’ll have the chance to make a significant impact on AHS’s risk management by applying a discerning risk lens to corporate, operational, and tactical environments to improve decision-making. You will work with the Director and team to support leaders in their work to assess, articulate and report on key organizational risks. An effective communicator, you can convey ERM concepts in plain language as you advise AHS stakeholders and give presentations on a variety of risk management topics in an open and engaging atmosphere.
AHS is Canada’s first and largest province-wide, fully-integrated health system, and has been named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, Alberta’s Top 75 Employers and a top employer for young people and diversity. A supportive employer with endless opportunities for professional development, competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits, including health, dental and a defined contribution pension plan, you and your family can truly thrive.
As a Senior Advisor, ERM, you will work closely with a small tight-knit team to provide advisory services and impart risk management expertise to internal stakeholders. You will also work with the Internal Audit team, as part of the Internal Audit and ERM department, to share risk management methodology and insight to organizational risk. In this role, you will act as an ambassador during all stakeholder interactions, influencing and helping to build the reputation and value of AHS’s ERM.
Under the guidance of the Director, ERM, the Senior Advisor will support leaders in assessing, articulating and reporting on key organizational risks. You will provide advice and consultation on the evaluation, management, control, and governance of risks, and support stakeholders in identifying, developing, and prioritizing risk management strategies and plans. You will contribute to the development, maintenance and/or improvement of the ERM Framework and supporting tools foundational to delivering the ERM program and services.
As required, you will prepare, maintain, and present key program, department, and risk reports, and give presentations on a variety of risk management topics. You contribute to the success of the Internal Audit and ERM department by participating in mutual learning and knowledge sharing, and by fostering a collaborative environment as you use your interpersonal skills develop and maintain strong productive working relationships and networks at all levels of the organization.
- Undergraduate degree in business or related discipline.
- Specialization in accounting (CPA) or MBA or Health Administration or Public Health, equivalencies of education and experience will be considered.
- Minimum five years’ experience in a risk management, internal audit, quality assurance or process improvement related role.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills with the ability to apply conceptual framework to new and unique situations.
- Ability to present complex topics in easy-to understand ways using plain language.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including creating and editing documents and presentations.
- Experience in public speaking and formal presentations to groups.
Additional Required Qualifications:
- Demonstrated ability to apply systems thinking to document and evaluate complex issues.
- Well-developed organizational and project management skills.
- Leadership skills including ability and comfort with decision-making responsibilities, coaching and teaching, and ability to inspire and build confidence in others.
- Ability to create and sustain productive, collaborative and consultative relationships with the team, cross-functional groups and a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Effective communication skills (verbal and written) with a stakeholder focused orientation and the ability to listen, understand and customize communications to the stakeholders’ benefit.
- Client-service focus, striving to fulfill client’s unique risk management needs using the ERM framework and tools.
- Professional designation or certificate in risk management.
- Experience facilitating conversations to build consensus, formulate strategies and recommendations.
- Work experience in an organization of significant size, complexity and diversity.
- Experience working with audit software, such as TeamMate.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Project and Visio.
- Demonstrated pattern of professional and personal development.