- University of Alberta
- Edmonton, AB T6G 2T4
- Job Industry
- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
University of Alberta
FS Financial Services Admin
Director, Resource Planning
Competition No. - A100145589
Closing Date - Will remain open until filled.
The University of Alberta is seeking a dynamic Director, Resource Planning to join the Finance leadership team. In this role, reporting to the Associate Vice-President, Finance, Procurement and Planning, you'll be accountable for a unit that delivers planning and forecasting services to the whole university, and is also responsible for the coordination and development of the institutional consolidated budget. To excel in this role, you'll require an understanding of all facets of the institution's finances, as your responsibilities will encompass the breadth of the university's complex funding sources, not just operating funds, due to the requirements of building a consolidated budget.
As the Director, Resource Planning, your areas of focus will be:
• Employing your accomplished operational leadership skills to adeptly guide your team through the fiscal estimates budget planning process, overseeing the development of the institutional budget – consolidated across all funds and activities - for Board Governance approval.
• Providing detailed advice and advanced analysis to senior administration on strategic planning decisions and allocations, including analysis to support decisions in relation to all major institutional strategic initiatives and all ongoing operating budget allocations.
• Working with the vice-presidents, deans and Board of Governors to ensure that all necessary stakeholders are provided with the necessary information to make evidence-based decisions in support of the development of the institutional budget.
• Applying your skills as a strategic influencer, while you serve as a key member of the Finance Management Committee that works with the university finance community in driving the establishment of policy, procedures and processes related to financial planning, budgeting and forecasting.
• Working collaboratively with the university wide finance community on the development of university practices, policies and procedures.
• Contributing expertise and insight to the development of university strategies as it pertains to budgeting, forecasting and other finance related areas.
• Using your talent management skills to identify, acquire, manage, and support collective and individual talent, and working toward establishing a diverse workforce reflective of the broader community.
• Developing the talents of staff, championing and modeling the importance of personal and/or professional development, and building capacity and capability, while identifying future competencies and expertise required for the resource planning team.
• Supporting and encouraging the identification, prioritization, development and implementation of improvements to existing resource planning practices through collaboration and with a focus on continuous improvement.
• Inherently understanding and modeling the belief that success in this role requires that complex financial information needs to be presented in such a fashion that it is understandable by the intended audience, while still ensuring that this complexity is sufficiently conveyed, to allow informed decision-making.
• Demonstrating persuasive, engaging, clear and credible communication to gain support and commitment in varied situations from a wide variety of audiences, and demonstrating flexibility in your approach and language use when delivering to varied audiences (e.g. use of examples, analogies, storytelling)
• Identifying key influencers and creating internal and external (where applicable) networks, then leveraging these networks to shape objectives and build support for ideas, initiatives and directions.
• Promoting relationships with external third parties as required (e.g. Ministry of Advanced Education), and fostering collaboration within the Finance, Procurement and Planning teams and across the university, sharing information when appropriate and identifying opportunities and developing strategies for collaboration.
• Establishing and maintaining relationships with the university's finance partnerships community while also developing similar relationships with the Executives and Deans that they represent.
• Cultivating and fostering collaboration with the finance community through regular attendance at the Finance Management Committee meetings.
As our ideal candidate, your professional experience and education will include:
• A related university degree and a CPA designation.
• Extensive experience with budgeting and forecasting within a large, partially-government-funded entity, preferably coupled with an applied understanding of the structure and issues facing a large post-secondary institution.
• A minimum of ten years broad and substantive experience, at a senior level, in one or more areas of finance or financial services.
• Five years demonstrated leadership experience, with the ability to build a service culture of excellence, and the proven ability to lead teams and to inspire optimal team performance.
• Superb oral and written communication skills, including the ability to tactfully deliver advice, feedback, and unwelcome news.
• Excellent stakeholder relations skills and the ability to move diverse groups toward consensus, using empathy and a high level of critical thinking and problem solving skills.
• Ability to act decisively and to exercise initiative and strong judgement on a wide range of issues.
In accordance with the Management and Professional Staff (Excluded) Handbook, this position is a full-time, continuing appointment and offers a comprehensive benefits package found at Faculty & Staff Benefits and an annual salary range of $99,829 - $166,389. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Note: applications will be reviewed starting August 6, 2021; however this posting will remain open until filled.
Interested applicants may apply to: https://www.careers.ualberta.ca/Competition/A100145589/
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency