Vice President, Business CFO
Listening to Albertans. Going deeper to understand who they are and where they’re going. Translating the complex world of banking and investing into brilliantly simple solutions. Through all this, we believe we can create happiness. This is the ATB way.
Job Number: REQ2238
Location: Calgary or Edmonton preferred (potential to work remotely from another part of Canada is possible)
Apply by: August 21, 2021
Leader: Chief Financial Officer
As ATB’s next Vice-President, Business CFO, you are a partner, advisor and stakeholder, engaged for your expertise on financial and business performance matters. This is a key role in developing and executing on the Business Area of Expertise's 10-Year Strategic Plan. As the financial expert on banking and capital markets, the Vice-President understands the strategic objectives, and works directly with ATB Business’ senior executives to develop strategies that will provide the greatest value and sustainable impact to business performance. The Vice-President provides financial advisory support in the form of financial modeling, forecasting, performance assessment, risk management and strategic planning.
- Accountable for providing business and financial advice and insights for ATB Business. Seeks opportunities to optimize business performance across the AoE & channels while maintaining sound financial accounting practices. The role plays a significant role in developing strategies and executing on the 10-year strategic plan and evaluating the financial impacts on various sector, segment, and product strategies.
- Partners with the business to establish financial objectives and provide insight on how the business operations and activities are impacting our financial position. Gains and maintains an in-depth understanding of the businesses in order to make recommendations and execute on specific tactics that will make significant improvements to business performance and financial results. Understands and evaluates the impact of strategies on economic capital, regulatory capital, and RAROC.
- Leverages strong technical skills, from both a business and finance perspective to identify root causes, drivers and emerging trends to impact and influence decision making at the executive level. Must be comfortable functioning in an unstructured environment where free thinking and problem solving skills need to be deployed in conjunction with expert level business judgement.
- Find ways to optimize business performance across ATB Business & various channels, while maintaining sound financial accounting practices.
- Collaborate with Senior executives to optimize business performance by:
- providing financial expertise to executive leaders to influence their decisions surrounding business strategy, tactics and financial matters
- identifying emerging patterns and competitive trends impacting short and long term enterprise financial performance
- leading the development of annual targets and budget for revenues and expenses
- assessing the viability of new business opportunities
- liaising with Treasury and the business to ensure product and pricing activities align with the financial objectives of ATB Business
- minimizing risk through the application of accounting standards and organizationally accepted financial policies and the establishment of internal and external financial controls related to financial operations and reporting
- Lead the long range financial planning process to ensure alignment of ATB Business financial targets to the enterprise goals.
- Lead and develop a high performing team of professionals to support the business’ strategic, financial & operational objectives
- Provide effective leadership and direction to the business finance team.
- Recruit and retain talent required to deliver business objectives.
- Develop, coaching and mentoring direct reports in service to achieving continuous success.
- Oversee the delivery of programs, processes and innovations using sound governance.
- University Degree preferably in the business, financial or economic field. An MBA, CPA or CFA would be preferred.
- 15 years plus post-designation experience
- Experience working in a revenue generating organization within the business or in a large operation environment within a strategic support role.
- Financial services experience required
- Financial statement preparation, financial analysis and modeling experience required
- Experience in building a strategic partnership with senior executives and providing expert advice to all financial and performance management matters utilizing negotiation and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of IFRS accounting practices, policies and procedures preferred
It is essential the successful candidate possess the following leadership attributes:
- Highly Collaborative - is a model for collaboration and leading with influence within the leadership team and in partnerships with other areas of ATB.
- Future Focused Strategic Thinker - stays current with key issues and trends impacting the business; demonstrate the ability to generate passion and excitement about the future; understand and be able to draw a connection between ATB’s 10 Year strategy and individual performance;
- Innovative and Creative - Identify improvement opportunities and implement creative solutions; challenge the status quo; take initiative to learn how things work and understand "why"; generate questions to guide the team to make better decisions; be willing to experiment and learn from mistakes with new and different approaches.
- Performance Driven - Create and foster an environment of high performance; define goals, measure performance and deliver performance; be active in the business and approachable; gather information through active listening; coach and empower their team; attract, develop and retain talent; recognize efforts of others and celebrate success; ensure the environment is fun and engaging.
- Credible - Demonstrate integrity through consistency of words and actions; demonstrate ownership through accountability of self and team; demonstrate customer focus by taking action that promotes the ATB brand; model and promote teamwork at corporate and local levels; be confident and self-aware; be influential in relationship building; have a proven pattern of success; address and resolve conflict; be able to coach and mentor junior executives.
- Adaptable - Demonstrate a flexible leadership style; promote diverse thinking and style that will enhance the overall team; demonstrate flexible decision making; have a bias for action and take calculated risks; deal effectively with conflict.
- Critical Thinker - Capable of harnessing quantitative and qualitative born analytical thinking, and has experience creating a vision; leading design and implementation of frameworks to unstructured problems.
At ATB, we know that highly talented people can readily transfer their skills. If you believe your skills and experience are transferable, please consider putting your name in the running.
Online applications are preferred. Please let us know if you require any accommodations.
Purpose. Growth. Advancement. Fun. Rewards… learn about our perks and benefits.
A little about ATB:
We are Alberta’s largest, home grown financial institution and for the last 80+ years, we’ve transformed people’s understanding of what banking can–and should–make possible. Today, 5,500+ ATB team members embrace a growth mindset in order to help bring ATB’s story to life, delivering happiness to our customers and team members alike. It’s why we’re also a highly sought after, award-winning employer. The best part is, we’re just getting started. Join us, and create happiness.
To learn more about atb, visit atb.com.
What happens next?
If you are shortlisted for this opportunity, you will hear from us after the posting close date regarding next steps. We will also keep your application on file for future roles.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Find out more about what to expect when applying.
Stay in touch!