Controller - 0.8FTE - One Year Term
- Calgary, AB
- Competitive compensation package.
- Job Industry
- Not-for-profit and Charitable Organizations
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
- Contract (includes summer)
Kids Cancer Care
Kids Cancer Care Foundation of Alberta is passionately dedicated to helping young people affected by cancer and their families survive and thrive in body, mind and spirit. With a vision of providing a cure for every child and care for every family, Kids Cancer Care strives to end childhood cancer, while easing the pain and suffering of the disease through three key program areas: 1. Camp and Outreach; 2. Research and Hospital; and 3. Education Support and Scholarships.
At Kids Cancer Care, we consider it an honour and privilege to do the work we do. We get to help deserving children and families and we get to see our community at its finest — volunteering, donating, hosting fundraisers and helping others.
We love our work and we love the children and families we serve. We take our jobs seriously, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. We pride ourselves on having a fun, vibrant and sometimes quirky team that works, laughs, cries, eats, plays and celebrates together.
We value different perspectives and innovative thinking. We like to surround ourselves with creative, kind and passionate people and we encourage all qualified persons of any ability, gender, ethnic background or origin to apply. We believe in the power of diversity and are dedicated to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. We ensure equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and encourage people of visible minorities to apply.
For more information on Kids Cancer Care and our work, please visit us at: www.kidscancercare.ab.ca.
This is a new part-time (0.8 FTE), one-year term position reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
The Controller is responsible for the proper functioning of all financial processes and systems ensuring accuracy, efficiency and strong internal controls for all financial transactions. Working closely with the CFO, the Accounting and Payroll Specialist, and the gift processing team, the Controller ensures that the day-to-day, monthly, quarterly and annual accounting functions are completed accurately and on time. S/he ensures strong internal controls to safeguard assets of the Foundation. Working closely with the CFO, the Controller coordinates the annual budget process and quarterly projections as well as overseeing restricted contributions and grants, and supporting the annual audit.
A Chartered Professional Accountant with at least three years’ experience in a similar role, the Controller will combine financial acumen with strong written and oral communication skills, and great interpersonal skills. The Controller will be a collaborative leader who engages and guides operational departments through the budget, accounting and reporting processes. S/he will be a keen learner who is able to share fresh ideas, challenge assumptions and strive to enhance accountability, efficiency and accuracy. The ideal candidate will be a strategic and critical thinker focused on continuous improvement.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Direct oversight for all financial processes, ensuring all accounting, payroll and finance activities are completed accurately and on time;
- Ensure strong internal controls to safeguard assets of the Foundation;
- Coordinate annual budget process in support of Kids Cancer Care’s strategic goals and initiatives;
- Coordinate and prepare quarterly financial projections for the Board of Directors and monthly financial statements;
- Ensure full regulatory compliance with federal, provincial, municipal regulations and requirements (CRA Charities, source deductions, GST, provincial licensing, AGLC, etc.)
- Prepare annual financial statements and support year-end audit process;
- Oversee financial systems and ensure integrity of all financial systems and data;
- Oversee restricted contributions and support external grant administration and reporting; and
- Provide guidance and support to the Accounting and Payroll Specialist in matters of accounting standards, payroll and HR compliance, and act as back-up for HR and payroll processing.
Education & Certifications and Experience
- Chartered Professional Accounting (CPA) designation required;
- Minimum three years experience in overseeing accounting and payroll operations;
- Knowledge of accounting standards for Not-for-Profit Organizations;
- Familiar with accounting and payroll compliance requirements for source deductions, registered charities, GST, Employment Standards, and other regulations (i.e. CASL, PCI, PIPA, PIPEDA);
- Familiar with AGLC regulations and policies for use of gaming funds by charitable groups; and
- Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge/Raisers Edge is an asset.
- Proven ability in financial planning, budgeting, financial analysis and reporting, regulatory compliance, cash management and project management;
- Understands and manages business risks, ensuring effective controls are in place without overly compromising operational efficiency and flexibility;
- Strong technical skills using financial systems as well as MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint;
- Proven ability to continuously improve and maintain processes, policies and systems;
- Enthusiastic with problem solving skills and able to anticipate problems before they present themselves;
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and change management skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Operates with integrity and a strong social conscience; and
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines concurrently while maintaining attention to detail.
Kids Cancer Care offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, August 9, 2021.
We prefer to receive applications by email. We are grateful to everyone who applies, but only candidates selected
for interview will be notified.