Senior Regulatory Finance Advisor
Why Join Our Team?
At FortisAlberta, our employees’ matter. We work in a customer-focused and team-oriented environment where the safety of our employees and communities is paramount, our customers’ needs are a top priority and the reliability of their electricity service is critical. By joining the FortisAlberta family, you will become part of a collaborative and communicative culture, one that is respectful of our history, while focused on the future and the opportunities it brings. At FortisAlberta, we power Alberta communities and empower our people to do their best work.
What Are We Looking For?
FortisAlberta is looking for a qualified and enthusiastic regulatory professional to fill the role of Senior Regulatory Finance Advisor - Financial Analyst. Under the general direction of the Supervisor Regulatory Finance, as part of the Regulatory & Financial Planning team, the Senior Regulatory Finance Advisor will primarily be responsible for providing advanced analysis and strategic input on various routine and project level assignments for regulatory forecasting and financial planning purposes. This would include ongoing analysis of both revenue requirement proposals and earnings results with presentation of financial and regulatory impacts to senior management.
Finance & Analysis Responsibilities:
- Support regulatory aspects of a financial planning model that incorporates a variety of inputs from many functional areas, and employs complex regulatory and financial computations
- Support a complex revenue model that incorporates specialized dependent (customer counts, energy, demand) and independent (housing starts, real GDP, operating wells, heating and cooling degree days) variables
- Support detailed financial analysis and modeling to facilitate project or investment decisions
- Estimate the potential financial consequences of project or investment decisions, as they relate to the regulatory construct
- Develop detailed analysis to assess the financial impacts of regulatory decisions and varying regulatory initiatives
- Assist in the development of financial forecasts to support corporate planning
- Maintain a revenue requirement model that incorporates a variety of inputs from many functional areas, and employs complex regulatory and financial computations
- Compile, analyze and interpret financial data in preparation for regulatory applications, and draft the corresponding sections in the applications
- Provide extensive support throughout regulatory proceedings and litigation, and in response to subsequent compliance filings or AUC directives
- Research, write, and review Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC) and intervenor Information Requests to ensure strategic consistency and alignment with responses from all FortisAlberta departments
- Stay abreast of developments concerning components of the Company’s revenue requirement, and offer input on resulting implications and alternatives
- Work with cross-functional teams on a variety of regulatory and financial issues
- Advise on interpretation and application of Electric Utilities Act and Regulations, and decisions from regulatory authorities
- Provide commentary to senior management on trends and developments with respect to earnings, and offer direction on implications and alternatives
- Special projects and other duties as assigned
What you will bring to the Role?
- Well established written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly present information to various audiences in both formal and informal settings
- Demonstrated ability to build lasting partnerships with all levels of employees through intuitive business insight and personal credibility; this includes the ability to make recommendations and influence outcomes
- Demonstrated judgment in dealing with sensitive and/or confidential information, particularly in the regulatory process
- Excellent analytical skills, with rigorous attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, in order to manage multiple priorities and competing demands with tight timelines
- Advanced experience using MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint); specifically utilizing MS Excel for data analysis and modeling
- Familiarity with SAP or comparable ERP system and supporting data analysis software would be an asset
- Solid understanding of utility ratemaking principles would be an asset
- Degree or diploma in Commerce or Business Administration plus a minimum of 7 years of related experience; an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Professional accounting designation (CPA or CFA) is an asset
- Technical proficiencies in applying generally accepted accounting principles, U.S. GAAP knowledge would be an asset
- Experience working in a regulated environment, preferably within the electrical utility industry, would be an asset