Baytex Energy Corp. (the “Company” or “Baytex”), is a public company based in Calgary, Alberta engaged in the acquisition, development, and production of crude oil and natural gas in Western Canada and the United States. For more information, please visit http://www.baytexenergy.com.
Baytex Energy invests in its staff, offering competitive health and wellness programs in addition to a flexible work environment that provides employees with the opportunity for office and remote work.
The Financial Reporting group at Baytex is currently seeking a qualified Financial Accountant to join their team. Reporting directly to the Financial Controller, this individual will be responsible for key components of the financial reporting cycle including preparation and analysis of the consolidated financial statements. Outside of the reporting process this individual will play a key role in ongoing process improvement and will work closely with the finance and operations teams. This position will appeal to a candidate who has career aspirations beyond the existing role.
The Financial Reporting group is responsible for external financial reporting, monthly operations accounting and analysis, budgeting and forecasting, along with cash management and treasury activities. The Financial Accountant will have the opportunity to develop their skillset in each of these functions through Baytex’s finance rotational program. There is a strong focus on collaboration and process improvements which results in a range of opportunities for mentorship and coaching.
- Contribute to the monthly financial reporting cycle with associated financial analysis;
- Collaborate with the finance and operations teams to develop and improve accounting and business processes;
- Research and analyze IFRS accounting issues and offer sound accounting advice to management;
- Ownership of complex accounting and financial reporting matters including preparation of calculations and associated analysis;
- Contribute to the preparation of the monthly executive package, the quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements, MD&A and Annual Information Form;
- Build effective partnerships with staff throughout the organization and provide analysis and support to the operational business units;
- Contribute to various financial reporting projects such as ESTMA and Corporate Social Responsibility reports;
- Act as a key contact with external auditors during the financial statement audit and quarterly reviews;
- Contribute to the overall effectiveness of the business by responding to ad hoc requirements for financings or acquisition and divestiture activities, as required.
- Canadian CPA accounting designation with experience in upstream oil and gas;
- Strong knowledge of financial statement preparation and consolidation concepts;
- Excellent understanding of oil and gas business;
- Detail oriented and takes initiative;
- Confident and effective written and verbal communication;
- Energetic and passionate about their career;
- Strong critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles; financial reporting, internal controls, and accounting policies and procedures;
- Demonstrates leadership and influence with the ability to get things done;
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel;
- User experience with Qbyte FM, Optix, Essbase, CS Explorer, MS Teams, and Webfilings would be considered an asset;
- A team player focused on results and continuous improvement.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your resume clearly indicating the job title and job code by September 17, 2021 to email@example.com