Director, Financial Services and Strategies
- Strathcona County Human Resources
- Sherwood Park, Alberta
- $81.54 to $101.92/hr ($148,403 to $185,494/year)
- Job Industry
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Director, Financial Services and Strategies
Competition number: 282-2021-EXT-CFIN
Closing date: 09/19/2021
Job type: Temporary Full-time
Department: Corporate Finance
Pay range: $81.54 to $101.92 per hour ($148,403 to $185,494 per year)
Hours: 35 hours per week
This posting is for 1 temporary, full-time position for up to 24 months
Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer, The Director, Financial Services and Strategies has primary responsibility for leading, managing and directing the Corporate Finance Department to support Strathcona County's vision, Strategic and Corporate Business Plans, and its commitment to excellence in municipal government and customer service.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, this senior role establishes strategic direction and alignment with the organization. The Director advises, influences, and informs the CFO and ultimately the Executive Team of the operations, affairs and direction of the Department and is responsible to establish and maintain organizational financial alignment within a decentralized structure from a combined centralized and centre-led service delivery model.
- Provide senior leadership of the Financial Services and Strategies Department for the purpose of supporting the County's vision and aligning programs with the Strategic Plan, Corporate Business Plans and the Long-Term Financial Sustainability Framework
- Provide expertise, guidance and recommendations to the CFO, Executive Team, elected officials and organizational leaders in aspects of financial matters, with a focus on after-budget approval and planning for sustainable Treasury
- Ensure the audited financial statements are completed in accordance with Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS) and in a timely manner for presentation to Executive Team and Council
- Oversee the County's investment portfolio within the guidelines of Municipal Government Act and the County investment policy
- Develop, implement and oversee operational structures, including staff reporting and responsibility mechanisms to ensure a comprehensive operational framework for Financial Services and Strategies in a decentralized corporate structure with a centre-led operating model
- Participate in and lead the development and implementation of strategies that build organizational capacity, provide excellence in customer service, and optimize the well-being and morale of the department and the organization (including talent management, leadership development and succession planning, performance planning and review, and employee communication)
- Coach and mentor department staff encouraging strategic-thinking skills, collaborative approaches, and the building and maintenance of effective working relationships
- Provide effective leadership to ensure the efficient delivery of programs and services in the Department
- Integrate, guide and direct the several major and diverse functions and operations of the department; determine strategic priorities, program objectives and policy recommendations
- Identify and maintain awareness of emerging issues and opportunities; proactively conduct analysis and provide recommendations and/or solutions to address same
- Collaborate with stakeholders to identify, implement, maintain and update financial systems to meet the County's current and future business needs
Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of the theories, principles and policies of municipal government administration and operations, including the Municipal Government Act, as well as public sector financial management
- Considerable breadth and in-depth knowledge of financial management, planning and reporting processes, multi-year budgeting, business planning and fiscal frameworks, and best practices infrastructure in a municipal setting
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to collectively create a vision of the future, provide motivational direction to obtain clearly defined goals, influence, persuade, and garner commitment; develop and mentor others to be leaders; create, support, and lead by example to build a high-performance team and a positive work environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute strategy, and develop and implement new programs, procedures, services, and policies that address emerging needs, expectations, and operational priorities
- Strong political and organizational savvy and business acumen. Ability to respond under pressure to changing political and operational situations
- Experience promoting and responding to organizational wide change is an asset
- Undergraduate university degree and certification as a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)
- Ten or more years of senior level management experience with proven strategic leadership in financial services coupled with an extensive background and experience in financial services management, planning, policies and systems
- Extensive knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS), long-range planning, financial analysis, and computer software applications
- Extensive understanding of municipal multi-year budgeting
- Experience in public sector organization and an understanding of the associated accountabilities to elected officials and government authorities is an asset
- Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered
Conditions of Employment
- Submission of Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #282-2021-EXT-CFIN closes September 19, 2021
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.