Manager, Finance - Term: Full-Time (40 hours/week)
Virdian Family Office has been in the family office space for over half a century, guiding dynamic, high-net-worth families towards success. The breadth and depth of our collective knowledge and experiences are unparalleled in Western Canada. Our family office services are built upon four key pillars – people, governance, advisory and support. These four key pillars are the core of how we support our clients and build relationships of deep trust and integrity.
We value our team of trusted advisors and creative problem solvers. We develop excellence in everything we do, and each team member is dedicated to delivering an exceptional experience for the clients we serve. We foster a culture that strives to unlock the potential of each member of our team, we challenge the status quo, and we encourage every employee to commit to lifelong learning and thinking creatively.
Location: Office in Downtown Calgary
Reports to: Director, Finance and Innovation
The Manager, Finance is responsible for the day-to-day accounting function of multiple clients and their associated entities including audited financial statements, managerial analysis and ad-hoc projects. Leadership and coaching will be a significant component of this position as this role will lead a team of accountants and finance professionals. The successful candidate will be comfortable interfacing with clients, have the ability to adapt to change and provide effective solutions to practical issues and will enjoy the opportunity to gain unique experience and apply their knowledge base in various areas within a dynamic environment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee and assist with the preparation of monthly financial statements and consolidated management reports;
- Oversee and assist with the preparation of timely and accurate client financial information on a monthly or quarterly basis, including net worth statements, tax forecasting, investment performance reporting, financial statements, and compile supporting documentation and working papers for these activities;
- Oversee and assist with the preparation of year end audit working papers and financial statements and auditor queries;
- Oversee and assist with the preparation of client meeting materials, including variance analysis and supporting financial information schedules;
- Oversee the investment portfolio tracking system(s) to ensure the production of timely and accurate client financial reporting;
- Manage and oversee client tax compliance activities - personal and legal entity related;
- Interface with and oversee third party tax advisors to complete annual tax compliance activities;
- Assist with the preparation of annual budgets;
- Produce and report to management on:
- Capital projects and fixed assets;
- Loans and investments;
- Expenditures; and
- Other ad hoc reports as requested.
- Approve all bank reconciliations for the related companies;
- Approve work of junior accounting staff;
- Supervise, coach, mentor and manage the junior accounting staff;
- Provide back-up support for the responsibilities of the Director, Finance and Innovation; and
- Complete other special projects as assigned.
Qualifications and Preferred Skillset:
The Manager, Finance must be a highly organized, detail oriented, and adaptable team player that can work well with minimal supervision. Excellent communication skills both verbal and written are essential. Other qualifications include:
- A professional accounting designation complemented by 5+ years of relevant experience;
- Highly proficient with Excel and an understanding of accounting systems (Xero or QuickBooks Online would be an asset);
- Working knowledge of Canadian and/or US personal, corporate and Trust tax would be beneficial.
- Solid understanding of the CICA Handbook with particular emphasis on Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises;
- Ability to quickly and efficiently adapt to changing priorities and meet deadlines consistently;
- Team player in a small office environment; provide coaching and mentoring to junior accounting staff;
- Excellent report creation skills, problem solving abilities, high level of confidentiality, detailed oriented, and able to work within deadlines, and
- Ability to adapt to new technology and the continuous improvement of processes.
- Successfully complete a background and credit check; and
- Legally authorized to work in Canada.
If you are interested, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org