- Freson Bros.
- Stony Plain, AB
- Competitive salary and benefits plan
- Financial Controller
- Job Industry
- Retail trade
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
ABOUT FRESON BROS.
Freson Bros. an Alberta owned and operated fresh food retail chain invites experienced and qualified Professionals who have achieved success in Accounting and Finance and who are passionate about pursuing a rewarding career with an organization striving to deliver a Unique Alberta Food Experience in Metro Edmonton and surrounding communities.
Founded in 1955, Freson Bros. currently operates sixteen supermarkets employing over 1,200 full time and part time Team Members. With a tradition deeply rooted in family, community and heritage, Freson Bros. aspires to be Alberta's unique food experience destination. Our stores have been recognized by the Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers (CFIG) in 2015 and again in 2019 with the National Awards as Canada’s Top Independent Grocer of the Year in all three store surface size categories.
WHY FRESON BROS.
Drive: To make it onto our team, it starts with focus, commitment and your own source of fuel.
Integrity: Like it or not, we’re open and honest. Team members do what is right, they’re upfront and turn feedback into progress.
Growth: Remember, personal development is at the core of what we do. We bring on those who love learning because we’re asking them to inspire others to feel the same way.
Reporting to the CFO, as Financial controller, you will work closely with the CFO and Finance Team at our Stony Plain, Alberta operations office and be responsible for all aspects of financial management, including delivery of timely and accurate financial reporting, monitoring compliance, banking and cash management, developing and implementing financial controls and measurements to monitor performance standards, and leading the selection and implementation of new financial systems and processes to improve efficiency and meet the evolving needs of the organization.
As a key member of the management team, the Financial Controller will influence the strategic direction of the Finance department, serve as a technical expert on all finance and accounting related matters, assist the CFO to build and refine the finance function and manage the accounting and finance team.
PRIMARY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Financial Controls and Policies
- Planning and Budgeting
- Compliance and Risk Management
- Strategic Analysis
- Degree or Diploma in Finance, Accounting or Business combined with a CPA, CA, CMA or CGA designation.
- Five (5) to Ten (10) years experience in a mid to senior level finance or accounting position including full cycle accounting, financial statements preparation, real estate accounting, oversight of A/R, A/P, payroll, budget preparation, and working with financial systems.
- Strong technical accounting skills including general ledger functions and month-end/year-end close processes.
- Strong knowledge of Canadian Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and current accounting principles, standards, and best practices.
- Knowledge of federal and provincial financial regulations.
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections.
- Ability to develop and document policies and processes.
- Strong computer skills including a working knowledge of ERP systems and computer programs, specifically, Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and the ability to summarize large volumes of data.
- Strong knowledge of business planning tools related to strategic planning, budgeting, forecasting and financial reporting.
- Experience implementing an ERP and/or Financial systems and other technologies.
THE QUALITIES WE ARE LOOKING FOR
High Achiever: A clear vision of success and competency in organizational, inter-personal and communication skills.
Brand Ambassador: A high level of dedication to creating a Unique Alberta Food Experience.
Ethical Behaviour: Understand ethical standards and ensure your behaviour is consistent with organizational values.
Effective Communicator: Speak, listen and write clearly, using effective methods.
Inspiring Team Leadership: Strong leader with the ability to harness the collective talents of their team to achieve organizational targets.
Relationship Building: Develop and maintain strong working relationships, both internally and externally.
Decision Making: Prioritize situations and risks, collect relevant information, and make well informed decisions in the best interests of the organization.
Planning & Organizing: Set goals and targets, prioritize and plan time and resources effectively, develop a plan, monitor progress and evaluate results.
Solving Problems: Assess problems, leverage resources and information to develop solutions.
Community leader: Passionate and actively participate in building strong community relationships.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
To the successful individual, attractive compensation package including competitive salary, benefits plan, family grocery discount and above all, continuous learning and exciting career opportunities.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
The Craft: Our Artisans are Masters at their craft. Butchers, Sausage Makers, Chefs and Cheese Makers thrive at Freson Bros. The Craft will never become a lost art… it is our heritage!
QSC+XP: We adhere to the highest operational standards in Quality, Service, Cleanliness and ‘Xciting Promotions (Merchandising). These are the pillars of our operational performance to achieve customer satisfaction.
Our Commitment: Since 1955, Freson Bros. continues to support the values of Family, Community and our Alberta Heritage.
At Freson Bros. We Believe Really Great Food and People Really Matter