Section23 Developments is a diversified real estate collective specializing in architecture, land development and housing, with a track record spanning more than three decades. Our roots, however, go back to 1923 with the establishment of Ollerenshaw Ranch in what is now southeast Calgary.
Over the past twenty years, the family’s business and land holdings have transitioned from those traditional roots towards the areas of residential architecture and suburban land development, with more recent initiatives focused upon inner‐city residential and commercial redevelopment. Section23’s interests also include residential home construction through our ownership of Baywest Homes.
Baywest Homes has a proud history and has emerged as one of Calgary’s most exciting specialty builders. Our focus is on move‐up, estate, villa bungalows and custom homes in the city’s most dynamic new communities. We are an entrepreneurial, collaborative organization with a reputation of friendly, knowledgeable, honest and professional conduct. With a dynamic breadth of skill and a reputation for results, our people consistently exemplify our core values as we collaborate to realize our vision.
Section23 Developments and Baywest Homes currently has a full‐time opportunity for an Accountant to join our team. This position reports directly to the Controller.
- Provide accounting support to achieve the objectives set out by the company.
- Provide professional and timely response to requests for information from stakeholders.
- Support the members of the Finance and Accounting Team.
- Perform bookkeeping and general ledger duties in accordance with established accounting practices for including, but not limited to:
- Cross train for accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Intercompany chargebacks
- Weekly bank reconciliations
- Project specific billings and cash management
- Investment portfolio accounting and reconciliations.
- Prepare project specific loan draws.
- Manage all capital assets and maintain tracking schedules.
- Prepare and file GST returns.
- Preparation of monthly financials and other financial and managerial reporting.
- Track overhead budget and report on variances.
- Assist with preparation of the reporting package for the Board of Directors.
- Prepare year end working paper files.
- Filing and other duties assigned.
These above responsibilities are a guide and are subject to review, clarification, and refinement by the employee and Controller on a consensus basis as the year progresses.
- Minimum 5 years of accounting experience
- Sound understanding of accounting and financial reporting principles and practices.
- Post-secondary education in an accounting related field.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines in a multi-entity structure.
- Previous experience in the new home building, real estate or development industry is an asset.
- Attention to detail, accuracy and quality.
- Flexibility and adaptability towards changes in priorities and tasks
- Ability to learn new things quickly.
- Excellent organizational, multi‐tasking and deadline‐driven time management skills
- Hardworking, organized team player willing to provide support to the team where needed.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills (written and verbal)
- Proficient in using accounting software packages. Current software includes Sage, Quickbooks, Yardi and Microsoft Dynamics AX.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications.
Traditional core office hours are Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Some travel within Calgary may be required.
If you would like to join our team, please submit your resume with cover letter in confidence to email@example.com. Please reference “Accountant” in the subject line of your email.