Practical Experience Specialist, Pre-approved Programs
CPA Alberta is the professional regulatory organization representing Alberta’s approximately 30,000 Chartered Professional Accountants (CPAs). Alberta’s members are among the more than 210,000 Canadian CPAs who provide financial and management expertise across the country and around the world, at every level and in every sector. CPA Alberta’s legislated mandate is to protect the interest of the public, protect the integrity of the profession, promote and increase the competence of Alberta CPAs, and regulate the conduct of Alberta CPAs.
CPA Alberta has offices in Edmonton and Calgary.
Further information can be found at our website: www.cpaalberta.ca
Reporting to the Manager, Pre-approved Programs, the Practical Experience Specialist, Pre-approved Programs is responsible for the creation and maintenance of pre-approved programs, conducting second reviews of colleague prepared programs, assessing the experience of candidates working in pre-approved programs and advising public accounting firms and industry organizations on training candidates.
Please note this postion is part time (24 hours/week).
- Meet with employers to gain an understanding of their organization and industry to map out their training program, then prepare and present Pre-approved Program Route (PPR) applications to the Registration Committee.
- Manage relationships with the National Firms and other stakeholders to ensure timely, accurate and consistent support on matters related to Practical Experience Requirements.
- Assist the manager in monitoring Pre-approved Program Route (PPR) growth initiatives and work on strategies to ensure goals are met.
- Oversee the assessment of candidates working in non-assurance public accounting roles and communicate requirements with their employers.
- Conduct Pre-approved Program Route assessments for candidates working in industry roles, and support contract staff in Pre-approved Program Route (PPR) assessments for candidates working in public accounting.
- Liaise with national colleagues on a regular basis to identify issues, recommend changes and ensure consistency, as well as provide peer reviews.
- Must be a Chartered Professional Accountant in good standing with a Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline.
- 2-3 years of post designation experience in either public practice or private industry.
- Familiarity with the CPA Practical Experience and Pre-approved Programs a benefit.
- Proven ability to plan, organize, and execute projects according to established business plans.
- Ability to work in a fluid, changing environment.
- Excellent verbal and written presentation skills.
- Ability to explain and demonstrate technical knowledge and application in a practical manner.
- Works well under pressure, manage multiple tasks and priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work within a team and independently.
- Values & Ethics
- Teamwork & Adaptability
- Organizational Awareness
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning & Organizing
- Results Management
- Fast paced work environment.
Location: Edmonton or Calgary
CPA Alberta thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
In its commitment to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce, CPA Alberta welcomes applications from all qualified persons. We encourage members of equity groups (women, Black, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ+); and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of the organization to apply.
Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.
Qualified interested candidates may apply online by clicking here.