Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic people who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You are committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and capable of delivering exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse and inclusive team!
Reporting to the Director, Finance, the General Accountant is responsible for the timely and accurate delivery of finance and accounting services including reporting, analysis, monitoring controls and performance and developing policies and procedures in accordance with applicable accounting standards, legislation, regulations and best practices. This includes monthly/quarterly and annual reporting, supporting budgeting and forecasting, developing and enforcing policies and procedures, and supporting the Finance department in the achievement of the objectives and delivery of finance services.
- Maintain on-going key financial documentation including the General Ledger and Subsidiary Ledgers; the Chart of accounts, reporting trees, financial reporting templates and supporting schedules/documentation.
- Administration and coordination of full cycle accounting and financial processes including month end, quarter end, and year end reporting; monthly reconciliations for Bank accounts, AR, and AP and facilitating all audit processes.
- Maintain accumulated surplus and other reserve frameworks.
- Complete regulatory filings and remittances to comply with provincial and federal government requirements (excluding payroll deductions).
- Provide support in the preparation of Financial Statements and assist in the development of standard internal reporting practices to support management in the analysis and evaluation of financial information.
- Support the development and maintenance of financial controls, budgets and forecast processes.
- Maintain all financial supporting schedules such as cash, prepaids, investments, capital asset, depreciation/amortization, accruals and leases.
- Reconcile the RBC VISA corporate cards (outstanding transactions, recording annual fees and overlimit fees.
- Develop and update applicable policies and procedures for the standardization of APEGA's financial practices and the alignment of the practices to industry standards
- Use financial control measures to identify and monitor standards and performance and identify operational gaps.
- Identify opportunities for automating manual process to improve efficiency and recommending new features for system enhancement.
- Actively participate in the development and implementation of Finance Initiatives.
- Actively collaborate with the development, preparation and documentation of cash management strategies.
- Application of key initiatives that support the organization's financial sustainability, effectiveness, and operational efficiency, as approved by Director, Finance
- Keep current with relevant developments and trends in the accounting profession, including updating the Controller and Director, Finance on new and emerging changes (I.e. taxation legislation, GAAP standards, auditing practices etc.)
- Assist in the delivery of value-added financial services to the organization that reflect the business objectives of the Finance team.
- Rectify and follow-up with any issues or concerns raised, escalating when necessary
Competencies, Skills & Attributes
- Core Competencies: Exemplifying Integrity, Fostering Communication, Results Orientation, Service Excellence, Teamwork, Decision Making, Ensuring Accountability and Inspiring Others.
- Functional Competencies: Accounting and Reporting, Attention to Detail, Information Gathering and Processing, Processing and Recording Financial Transactions, Reconciliation and Analysis.
- Working Knowledge of GAAP and current accounting principles, standards and best practices.
- Excellent strategic communication skills, to portray ideas, project and process concepts, verbally and in writing with ease and clarity.
- High proficiency in computer applications (MS Word, Excel and Outlook) easy adaptability to ERP software (eg. Microsoft Dynamics GP).
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work effectively and productively in a team environment.
- Functions with a high degree of independence, sets priorities and meet time-sensitive deadlines.
- Post-secondary degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or a related field combined with a CPA designation
- 3-5 years of full cycle accounting, including financial statements preparation, reporting, analysis.
- Experience administering a mid-size ERP would be considered an asset.
- Prior experience in a not-for-profit organization is an asset.
- Prior experience with Ceridian Dayforce and SAP Concur is an asset
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy to provide effective financial analysis
- This position will work remotely to start and will transition to the APEGA office when appropriate and within government guidelines. Employees are required to have a designated confidential workspace at home with quality internet.
Closing Date: Until successful candidate is found
We acknowledge all candidates working in their area of expertise may build their knowledge, skills, and competencies in several ways. We welcome candidates from a breadth of backgrounds, who may have equivalent skills and competencies to the ones listed above. There may be APEGA positions posted that have specific regulatory requirements, and in keeping with those requirements, APEGA will follow the guidelines that we are bound by. All candidates are considered with the objective to enhance APEGA’s people and culture.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume, including your salary expectations, as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to Human Resources at HR@apega.ca.
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.