Are you a new CPA or have passed the CFE and need professional hours in an approved training office (like ours)?
Are you tech savvy and eager to learn even more in the not for profit sector?
Do you want to be part of a cause-drive organization that for 40 years has been dedicated to building health individuals and communities?
Do you have superior interpersonal skills and excel in a fast-paced, challenging work environment?
YMCA of Okanagan is a charitable association dedicated to building strong kids, strong families and strong communities. Y programs provide experiences to over 30,000 individuals annually in the areas of health, fitness & recreation, childcare, day camping, employment and community health. With a current annual operating budget of $17 million, the association employs over 300 full and part time staff and has over 200 volunteers.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer this integral role is key in collaboratively shaping the long-term financial strategy and success of the YMCA Okanagan. This role requires a CPA designation with minimum two years’ experience as well as superior communication skills, outstanding relationship building abilities and a strong financial management background.
Nature and Scope:
- Responsible for the accurate and timely preparation of the Associations’ monthly financial statements, variance analysis, annual budget and projections, including capital budgeting.
- Oversee year-end activities: year-end financial statements and notes, annual audit, T3010 tax return, YMCA Canada Yearbook, Gaming Account Summary Report.
- Maintains compliance with PST/GST and ensures returns are filed on a timely basis.
- Ensures donor contributions are utilized for restricted purposes, issues tax receipts and ensures they meet CRA compliance.
- Supports decision making through comprehensive financial analysis, and design and implements customized reports on performance indicators.
- Preparing monthly deferred revenue, grants, capital assets and other statement of financial position account reconciliations.
- Managing processes and monitoring controls while highlighting areas for improvement and efficiencies
- Property, plant & equipment capitalization, monthly depreciation and amortization of deferred capital contributions.
- Bank reconciliation, cash deposits analysis on weekly basis, cash flow forecast, analysis of projects and investment portfolio
- Maintain accounting system with G/L, A/P, inventory, fixed assets, expense and sub-ledgers using Great Plains including monitoring GL account setup.
- Assist with mentoring and training of accounting team.
- Promotes philanthropy and volunteerism through the YMCA’s annual Strong Kids Campaign.
- Recognized professional accounting designation with a minimum of two years experience.
- Experience in generating financial reporting, account reconciliations and financial analysis.
- Advanced skills in Excel, proficiency in Office 365 suite
- Knowledge of accounting software and reporting an asset. YMCA software includes Great Plains Accounting, Avanti Payroll; Raisers’ Edge Fundraising Management, ActiveNet, EZ Care and MindBody
- Strong decision-making skills and problem recognition and solving skills.
- Commitment to Mission, Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, and values of the YMCA of Okanagan.
- Service Orientated: Deliberately identifies and creates opportunities to enhance each and every individual's YMCA experience. Creates action plans to resolve any service gap areas.
- Relationship Building and Collaboration: Builds positive interactions, listens attentively and communicates effectively to create an open communication environment. Share information, best practices, and resources with colleagues.
The YMCA’s Commitment to Trust, Safety and Equality:
As part of a trusted charitable organization, you can expect to receive excellent services and safety training throughout your YMCA career. As the first step in your journey, you will be required to:
- Provide 3 references of a professional nature (e.g. Supervisor)
- Provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding your start date. The YMCA will provide applicable instructions and paperwork.
The YMCA of Okanagan is an equity employer and encourages applications from all individuals who may contribute to the diversity of our workplace. This includes persons with diverse abilities, persons of color and ethnicity, Indigenous persons (First Nations, Metis, and Inuit), and people of all sexual orientations and genders.
If your application results in OR you are hired, prior to your start date and as a condition of your employment, you will be required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid medical or religious exemption.