Manager, Financial Services
The EMTSC is a newly formed Regional Service Commission for the Edmonton Metropolitan Region (EMR) with a mandate of improving regional transit and mobility.
The Commission is composed of eight municipalities in the EMR, each with one seat on the Commission’s Board which is filled by an elected municipal Council Member. The eight participating municipalities are: The City of Beaumont, Town of Devon, City of Edmonton, City of Fort Saskatchewan, City of Leduc, City of St. Albert, City of Spruce Grove, and Town of Stony Plain.
We are looking for great talent to join us in building the EMTSC from the ground up in close collaboration with our eight member municipalities. If you wish to be part of this exciting opportunity in shaping the future of regional transit and mobility, please submit your resume!
Reporting to the Director, Financial Services, the position is responsible for coordinating the various functions of the general ledger, including reconciliation and analysis of all balance sheet accounts.
The Manager, Financial Services will also be responsible for managing the function of budgeting and financial planning for the Commission in accordance with the objectives, policies and procedures of the Commission while adhering to all professional finance standards.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Ensure that all balance sheet accounts are reconciled on a monthly basis.
- Manage and provide guidance on account codes and general management of the general ledger.
- Review/post journal batches to the general ledger and prepare any additional journal entries as required.
- Prepare monthly allocation entries to assign costs to individual projects.
- Responsible for review and sign-off of staff reconciliations and working papers.
- Responsible for the tracking and closing of the month-end process.
- Ensure all month-end and year-end financial statements and board financial packages are prepared within the prescribed timelines.
- Ability to process subledger transactions including A/P and A/R.
- Report on all variances on the financial statements.
- Responsible for the coordination of the interim and year-end audits.
- Assist with the preparation of annual budgets.
- Ensure accounting processes are carried out within the guidelines of the Commission’s policies and procedures and all accounting standards.
- Advise all departments on budget targets and related instructions, including timelines and guidelines for budget submissions, to facilitate the preparation and submission of annual budgets.
- Compile budgets submissions from department to review for accuracy and completeness, and review whether the proposed budget asks are realistic based on the environment that the Commission operates.
- Provide leadership and coordination for the compilation and consolidation of the Commission’s annual budgets and all supporting documents.
- Develop and maintain processes and systems to track monthly spending to ensure that expenditure targets are not exceeded.
- Ability to process payroll as required.
- Manage payroll transaction processing of salaried and unionized employees.
- Verify payroll data for accuracy and compliance and deposit.
- Prepare and oversee the preparation of bi-weekly payroll including all payroll reports as required.
- Prepare a variety of payroll related documents and calculations (e.g. invoices for overpayments, Union dues, LAPP payments, payroll register, stop payments, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities and issues, meeting compliance requirements, and providing audit references.
- Research discrepancies of payroll information and/or documentation (e.g. time sheets, leave time, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring accuracy and adherence to procedures prior to processing.
- Register all new hires with LAPP and Sunlife.
- Leads and acts as liaison with benefits administrators of Sunlife and LAPP.
- Responsible for the implementation and administration of benefits and provide guidance to employees. Process and reconcile group benefit billings including HSA.
- Coordinate with Insurance Carrier for new hires, changes in salary and termination of employees.
- Ensures WCB reporting and payments are made in an accurate and timely manner.
- Process bi-weekly LAPP reconciliations and remittances.
WHAT DO I NEED TO SUCCEED?
- Bachelor of Commerce and/or Business Administration degree or relevant post-secondary diploma.
- Minimum 8 years’ related experience preferably in a unionized environment.
- CPA is a requirement.
- Minimum 5-10 years of full cycle accounting experience required.
- Strong knowledge of accounting standards.
- Experience overseeing the payroll function and ability to process payroll.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders and work effectively with all levels of employees is critical.
- Ability to interpret and facilitate service contracts.
- Highly effective project management, prioritization, multi-tasking, and time management skills to meet deadlines.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
- Exhibit strong personal values, integrity and hands-on work habits.
- Ability to 'think outside the box' has a proven track record of creative problem-solving and consensus building skills necessary for addressing sensitive business problems.
- Highly energetic with a strong work ethic; exhibits contagious enthusiasm.
- Comfortable with managing multiple projects and multi-tasking.
- Effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with corporate departments and key external stakeholders.
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Attention to detail in all areas of work.
- Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills and ability to work with Microsoft suite of business programs.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Competitive benefit plan with a Health Spending Account and pension
- Competitive salary
- An exciting opportunity to start with a brand-new organization
EMTSC is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion are values of EMTSC. EMTSC welcomes applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
EMTSC respectfully operates (albeit virtually) on Treaty 6 territory, a traditional gathering place for diverse Indigenous peoples including the Cree, Blackfoot, Métis, Nakota Sioux, Iroquois, Dene, Ojibway/Saulteaux/Anishinaabe, Inuit, and many others whose histories, languages, and cultures continue to influence our vibrant community.
Please submit resume and cover letter to EMTSC via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject of your email. All candidates will be required to undergo a Security Clearance Check.
- Work from home (until further notice)
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place