Payroll & Benefits Administrator
The Town of Taber is looking for a candidate to fill this role on a fulltime basis. The Payroll and Benefits Administrator is responsible for managing payroll and benefits and assisting human resources department.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Verify and process required documents when a new employee is hired
- Create and maintain database records of contact information, hours worked, pay, bonuses, and other benefits for full-time, part-time, casual, and seasonal employees.
- Correctly interpret and apply pay-related collective agreements, employee payroll related polices and directive provisions.
- Prepare and verify pay statements that provide information about each employee's gross and net earnings, and statutory and non-statutory deductions for federal and provincial taxes, Employment Insurance, union dues, health insurance, pensions, staff funds, maintenance enforcement, expense claims
- Create system-generated reports and resolve any errors or discrepancies
- Complete, verify, and process the documentation required to administer leaves of absence, employment insurance, STD and LTD
- Complete, verify and process the documentation required to administer benefits and pension plans
- Prepare and verify statements from benefit carrier to ensure accurate payment of benefits
- Administer flexible work hours, wellness programs or other benefit programs
- Create and process invoices for employee benefits when employees are on leaves
- Create reports, process, distribute, pay, and invoice vendors and employees (including online submissions, such as LAPP, SFPP, internal associations/clubs, etc.) on a bi-weekly basis meeting the regulated deadlines
- Work with the HR Department with HR-related tasks such as data generation, research, contract related interpretation, etc.
- Prepare payroll-related statistical reports, statements, and summaries
- Prepare and balance period end reports and reconcile payroll accounts monthly, by deadline
- Prepare T4’s and other yearend reporting slips
- Prepare and submit Pension and WCB annual reports
- Prepare and reconcile payroll accounts for year-end by deadline
- Responsible for calculating and posting Seniority Lists by deadlines as per collective agreement
- In consultation with the HR Department, responsible for ensuring the Collective Agreement is followed regarding areas directly relating to the administration of payroll
- Assist in preparation of documentation and calculations for employee collective bargaining as requested
- Maintain and update as required all in house payroll process manuals
- Train and assist assigned back up staff
- Research information regarding payroll systems and benefits for Director Finance, or designate as requested
- Participates in the workplace health and safety program, including monthly worksite and hazard inspections
- Ensuring any retention policies or standard operating procedures are followed
- Working with the Director of Finance and the HR Department to develop and maintain policies and procedures that related to the processing of payroll
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Canadian Payroll Association Certification is required
- Minimum 5 years of payroll experience
- Payroll Compliance Legislation Course (from Canadian Payroll Association) or must complete within 12 months of hire
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, Access)
- Knowledge of payroll systems such as Canadian Payroll, Great Plains, etc. willing and able keep up to date with new technology and to learn new software as required
- Education and or knowledge of LAPP & SFPP pension plans, Alberta Employment Standards, AMSC regulations, Worker’s Compensation, accounts receivable, and accounts payable
- Standard First Aid/CPR/AED training
- Ability to provide a clean Police Information Check
- Must be able to keep a high level of confidentiality regarding the information they have access to, as well as perform well under pressure, as this position faces numerous pay-related timelines
- Must have a full understanding of requirements and legislation the employer must be compliant with and understand the reporting and income/deductions required. (i.e., CRA required Payroll Source deductions, T4 processing, ROE’s etc.)
DURATION: Fulltime position – Out of Scope
SUPERVISOR: Director of Finance
WAGES & BENEFITS Expected salary range to be negotiated with the successful candidate, including an attractive benefit package.
HOURS OF WORK: 37.5 hours / week, M-F 8:00am-4:30pm
LOCATION: Position will work in the Town of Taber Administration Office
CLOSE DATE: Open until a suitable candidate is hired
Please submit resume and cover letter by mail, fax, or e-mail in confidence to:
The Town of Taber holds a Certificate of Recognition achieved through the Alberta Municipal Health & Safety Association for our Safety Policies and Program.
Town of Taber
4900 A 50 St.
Taber, AB T1G 1T1
We wish to thank all applicants for applying however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.