Director, Financial Services and CFO
- Lethbridge College
- Lethbridge, Alberta
- Salary: Starting from $119,989 to $141,163/yr
- Job Industry
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Hours per week: 35
This position, reporting to the Vice President People and Business Services is accountable for the development, strategic leadership and effective management of college financial services and several administrative and ancillary services – procurement, college bookstore, etc. The position also operates as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) for the college working closely with the Executive Leadership Team (President and CEO, Provost and VP Academic, and VP People and Business Services). The position’s functions and services include: strategic management of the accounting and finance functions; directing accounting policies; procedures and internal controls; financial statement preparation, analysis, interpretation and recommending improvements to ensure the integrity of financial information; internal audits and audits of related associations and management of the relationship with independent auditors; overseeing financial systems implementations and upgrades; managing relationships with investors and investment institutions; identifying and managing business risks and insurance requirements; government and tax reporting; capital asset inventory control; and hiring, training and retaining skilled accounting and financial services staff.
· As the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), responsible for all financial planning, budgeting, reporting, and forecasting, as well as policy relative to the college’s financial operations.
· Collaborate with the VP People and Business Services and the Provost and VP, Academic to lead the development of the annual and rolling 3-year budget.
· Provide the Board of Governors with comprehensive, regular reports on revenues and expenditures of the college and funding for major capital projects.
· Provide to the Finance Audit Risk (FAR) Committee a comprehensive and balanced budget annually.
· Ensure adequate assessment and mitigation of risk, and compliance with applicable regulatory or other legal requirements.
· Prepare comprehensive financial statements, and related schedules (monthly, quarterly, annually), for executive leadership and other senior leaders (deans/directors) as well as outside agencies.
· Plan, coordinate, and monitor internal and external auditing functions.
· Identify deviations and take corrective action regarding monthly variances from financial plans, policies, procedures, and business operations; review with respective senior leaders to action change where needed.
· Ensure proper internal controls are in place for guarding college assets through the development and maintenance of appropriate accounting records and processes in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS).
· Maintain a strong internal controls environment and financial reporting processes.
· Manage the capital asset inventory system for physical control, reporting, grant request and security requirements.
· Direct and develop policies and procedures to ensure the effective management and operation of finance, purchasing, bookstore, and payroll services.
· Direct and coordinate the annual operating and capital budget process for the college and areas of responsibility.
· Direct and coordinate the quarterly forecasting process for the college and areas of responsibility.
· Ensure the timely filing of Government statistical and other legislated reports.
· An undergraduate degree supplemented by a Professional Accounting Designation CPA (CA, CMA or CGA) is required; additional education such as a Master of Business Administration (MBA) would be considered an asset.
· 7 to 10 years’ experience in the financial field; management and leadership roles and/or managing core financial processes including budgeting, forecasting, accounting operations, internal controls, financial analysis, audit planning and coordinating monthly and year end activities.
· Direct experience managing the preparation of consolidated financial statements, being involved in audits and managing ancillary services.
· Strong understanding of business models with an ability to use this knowledge to provide an independent perspective to constructively challenge others, ensuring business decisions are grounded in solid financial criteria.
· Ability to navigate complex data and provide analytics and predictive scenarios that drive action and decision making.
· Experience identifying opportunities for top-line growth and drive profit improvement.
· Ability to focus on results and deliver on what the business needs versus a narrower focus on the pure cost of serving the business.
· Logical, organized, and able to make sound decisions.
· Results driven and able to inspire a team.
· Analytical and critical thinker that can turn a grand vision into smaller achievable objectives for their team.
· Well-developed communication skills and ability to build strong working relationships with outside agencies, i.e. Government of Alberta (Advanced Education), in terms of significantly increased reporting requirements for financial information consolidated within the government setting, as well as managing all aspects surrounding the various government grants which are paid annually.
· Proven ability to develop a strong working relationship with outside agencies such as the Office of the Auditor General (and KPMG acting as their agency) in terms of the annual audit and reporting requirements.
· Demonstrate business acumen, strong leadership competencies, change management, analytical mindset and possess strong strategic thinking skills.
· Visible leader in the college, and an excellent communicator with highly developed interpersonal and influencing skills.
Salary: Starting from $119,989 to $141,163 per annum; commensurate with education and experience.
Posting Number: P21-00351
Open Date: 10/15/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To request an Opportunity Profile and learn more about this unique leadership opportunity, please contact Sarah Norgard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More search results
CSV Accounting & Financial Supports Supervisor
The City of Red Deer - Human Resources
Financial Planning and Budget Analyst
Northwest Territories Housing Corporation
Secure Energy Services Inc.
CPA Articling Student
JR Shaw School of Business, NAIT