The Alberta Petroleum Marketing Commission (APMC) was created in 1974 by the Petroleum Marketing Act. It is a provincial Crown corporation and an agent of the Government of Alberta. APMC was initially responsible for marketing Alberta's conventional crude oil royalty, developing prices used in royalty calculations and other energy related activities. In 2012, the APMC’s mandate was expanded to include assisting in the development of Value Added activity in Alberta's petroleum sector, such as the development of the Sturgeon Refinery as well as new energy markets and transportation infrastructure.
Within the energy sector, APMC operates as the commercial arm of the Government of Alberta. Additional activities that the Commission is involved in:
- Marketing the Crown’s conventional oil royalty received in kind and setting prices used in the valuation of the Crown royalty share of natural gas, natural gas liquids, and sulphur.
- Adding value to Alberta’s energy resources through engaging with the Sturgeon Refinery, exploring new opportunities within the energy sector, promoting knowledge and transparency, and providing strategic advice.
- Expanding access to global energy markets by assessing the development of new market and infrastructure for market access and expansion.
APMC is accountable to and receives policy direction from the Minister of Energy in the Government of Alberta.
APMC is currently accepting applications for the position of a Senior Financial Reporting Analyst. We are seeking an analytical and detail-oriented individual with a passion for continuous learning. This exciting position requires strong organizational skills and the ability to adapt and manage competing priorities in a fast paced and ever-changing environment. Reporting directly to the Manager, Financial Reporting and Internal Controls, the successful candidate will primarily be responsible for the following:
- Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports (FS and MD&A);
- Assist in the preparation of monthly internal reporting;
- Assist with the preparation of the annual forecast and plan;
- Assist with the external annual and quarterly financial statement audits and reviews;
- Preparation and oversight of month end working papers;
- Perform analytical functions including analysis of the general ledger, account reconciliations and variance analysis;
- Oversee a variety of day-to-day accounting activities including month-end close procedures, chart of account master file maintenance and standard month end journal entries;
- Create and maintain an electronic monthly reporting binder;
- Assist with the internal control development, monitoring and reporting;
- Preparation of accounting memos and accounting research, including the continued monitoring of new standards as applicable;
- Work closely with other members of the accounting team on special projects.
Professional Experience and Qualifications
- Professional accounting designation;
- Minimum 8 years of accounting experience, strong knowledge of IFRS accounting standards and regulatory requirements;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong attention to detail and an ability to see the “big picture”;
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Ability to prioritize and adapt quickly to changing priorities;
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, Word and PowerPoint;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality where required;
- Experience with acquisitions and divestitures activities would be a asset;
- Previous experience with Microsoft Dynamics is considered an asset;
Prior oil and gas experience preferred.
Interested candidates should forward a resume, prior to November 17, 2021 to: Margaret.Stevens@gov.ab.ca with Senior Financial Reporting Analyst in the subject line. Any questions may be directed to Margaret Stevens at (403) 297-5514.
This is a full-time employment position. The successful candidate will be paid a salary commensurate with their experience.
More search results
CSV Accounting & Financial Supports Supervisor
The City of Red Deer - Human Resources
Financial Planning and Budget Analyst
Northwest Territories Housing Corporation
Secure Energy Services Inc.
CPA Articling Student
JR Shaw School of Business, NAIT