Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Specialist, Property Accounting is accountable to participate in the preparation and analysis of financial information regarding CP's Properties for quarterly and annual consolidated Financial Statements, Surface Transportation Board (“STB”) Regulatory reporting, Canadian Transportation Agency (“CTA”) Regulatory reporting and Canadian Revenue Agency (“CRA”) Tax reporting.
- Contributes to property accounting and reporting activities to support rapid and accurate period-end close (monthly, quarterly, annual);
- Reconciles and analyzes General Ledger, Asset sub-ledger and Regulatory sub-ledger relating to Properties;
- Completes Regulatory (CTA/STB) and Tax reporting - reconciliation and analysis, and quarterly and annual reporting to meet Regulatory and Tax requirements relating to Properties;
- Assists in the preparation, development, and implementation of annual Group Depreciation studies for both Canadian and US operations;
- Implements process controls, and assists with continuous improvement initiatives to enhance systems and processes;
- Maintains CP’s compliance with Property and Asset related US GAAP accounting standards;
- Maintains and improves documentation of processes for Property Accounting deliverables and accountabilities;
- Participates in Property Accounting projects, as required;
- Provides accounting support and recommendations for significant Property transactions;
- Maintains effective relationships with multiple internal stakeholders to support the accounting and reporting process (Project Accounting, Tax, Regulatory Reporting, Information Systems, Operations, Corporate Reporting, etc.);
- Assists external and internal auditors in performing quarterly reviews and year-end audits of financial statements; including preparation of working papers and all other related documentation and deliverables relating to Properties.
- 5-7 years of related experience required;
- Pursuing or completion of Accounting Designation (CPA);
- Railway Knowledge – 0-5 years;
- Knowledge of US GAAP requirements;
- Knowledge of Group Depreciation would be an asset;
- SAP Expertise in Asset Management and FI/CO modules would be beneficial;
- Possess a strong attention to detail and accuracy;
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders;
- Ability to set and meet deadlines and work independently in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of BPC, Excel, Workiva, Blackline an asset.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").
More search results
CSV Accounting & Financial Supports Supervisor
The City of Red Deer - Human Resources
Financial Planning and Budget Analyst
Northwest Territories Housing Corporation
Secure Energy Services Inc.
CPA Articling Student
JR Shaw School of Business, NAIT