Finance Services Analyst
ow Valley College is the largest and fastest growing Comprehensive Community College in Alberta. We have locations across southern Alberta helping 17,000 learners each year. Our mission is to contribute to the vitality of communities and strength of the economy through innovative adult education programs and services which equip students for successful living, lifelong learning, and employment in a global knowledge-based environment.
Why work at Bow Valley College?
Bow Valley College is made up of employees who are committed to our learners´ success, as well as each other´s. Our staff and faculty consistently say it is the people who keep them at the College, the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our students, and the incredible support they receive from their co-workers and supervisors.
We are currently accepting applications for the position of Finance Services Analyst.
Reporting to the Lead, Budget and Analysis, the Finance Services Analyst is responsible for preparing financial reports for internal and external stakeholders. This role provides financial expertise and advice to internal stakeholders by using various analyses (include forecasting, scenario, and sensitivity analyses) along with risk identification to assist in the strategic decision making. The Finance Services Analyst is also responsible for providing recommendations for corrective action, innovation opportunities to project holders to ensure project remains on budget and in accordance with contract agreement.
Internal and External Reporting - 80%
- Prepares financial reports for federal and provincial governments including project reporting and surveys. Responsible for understanding Federal government Tri-Council research funding guidelines and contractual accounting/reporting obligations for all projects based on signed agreements.
- Prepares financial reports for internal and external stakeholders in accordance with reporting schedule.
- Provides advice to project holders on expenditure eligibility with respect to agreements and agency funding guidelines.
- Conducts project variance analysis and to provide appropriate recommendations for corrective action, innovation opportunities to project holder to ensure project remains on budget.
- Identifies risks and analyzes trends to provide early warning to project management of any current and potential slippages and recommending recovery actions to mitigate the potential risk.
- Performs scenario and sensitivity analysis based on adjusted project planning. Advises on alternatives/options to project holders based on analysis finding.
- Responsible for the timely control and forecasting to ensure that the impact of all change requests is properly assessed and included in the forecast and reports if applicable.
- Ensures data is posted and reported in a consistent manner to align with the financial structure, funding guidelines and eligibility.
- Ensures schedule and cost related risk is managed and monitored at project level in line with the College’s standards and processes.
- Liaises with internal stakeholders to ensure that projects are managed effectively and to be delivered in a manner which meets quality, time, and budget specifications.
- Prepares donor financial reports, monitor donation programming progress, and provide monthly reporting to program coordinator.
- Works with external auditors during annual financial audits.
- Prepares operation monthly variance analysis reports to Schools/Units.
- Supports Finance Partner in identifying and follow up unusual transactions to ensure they are properly accounted for.
- Supports Finance Partners in the development of proposals, analysis, and ad hoc reporting as assigned.
- Ad hoc reporting and special projects assigned by Financial Controller.
- General project administration duty.
Monthly Accounting - 10%
- Monthly journal entries including Grant and contract revenue recognition entries.
- Project cash flow forecasting.
- Balance reconciliations.
Other - 10%
- Communicates and educates new administrative professional and support staff Schools/Units on finance policies, College business process, policies, and procedure.
- Proposes continuous improvement initiatives by identifying opportunities for improving processes and operational flows to gain efficiencies and potential cost savings.
- Increases productivity by developing automated reporting and forecasting tools.
- Assists with implementation of accounting policies, systems, procedures and controls.
- Bachelor’s Degree – Business Administration.
- Accounting designation CPA-CA, CPA-CMA, CPA-CGA.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in a financial analysis and/or financial reporting position.
- Excellent communicator with strong written and verbal skills.
- An equivalent combination of directly related education and experience may be considered.
- 4-5 years in a financial analysis and reporting position.
- Experience in post-secondary institutions is an asset
- Ability to work well independently and within a team environment.
- Strong relationship building skills and ability to manage relationships with key clients or stakeholders across the organization.
- Proficient user of computer software applications.
- Experience in financial statement preparation, including notes to financial statements.
- Experience in project accounting in relation to contracts, some cost accounting experience, experience with integrated ERP systems and management reporting, experience dealing with clients and auditors, document management experience.
- Experience in budget preparation.
- Experience in spreadsheet financial modeling.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
More search results
Financial Reporting Analyst
Canary Biofuels Inc.
Board Member of Westmount Charter School Society …
Westmount Charter School
Kids Developmental Services Ltd.
Financial Services Specialist
Workers' Compensation Board- Alberta
Vice President & Executive Financial Officer
PFM Executive Search / Panorama Search Partners