Lead, Internal Audit (Temporary, 1 year)
Bow Valley College is the largest and fastest growing Comprehensive Community College in Alberta. We have locations across southern Alberta helping over 17,000 learners each year. Our mission is to contribute to the vitality of communities and strength of the economy through innovative adult education programs and services which equip students for successful living, lifelong learning, and employment in a global knowledge-based environment.
We are currently accepting applications for the position of Lead, Internal Audit (Temporary, full-time).
Working closely with management and the Audit and Risk Management Council, the Lead, Internal Audit is primarily responsible for internal auditing. The scope of work of the internal audit function is to provide expertise and lead the development of the audit plan. The Lead, Internal Audit will determine whether the organization’s network of risk management, control, and governance processes, as designed and represented by management, is adequate and functioning in a manner to ensure:
- Risks identified in the course of conducting audits are appropriately identified and reported.
- Interaction with the various governance groups occurs as needed.
- Significant financial, managerial, and operating information is accurate, reliable, and timely.
- Employees’ actions are in compliance with policies, standards, procedures, and applicable laws and regulations.
- Resources are acquired economically, used efficiently, and adequately protected.
- Programs, plans, and objectives are achieved.
- Quality and continuous improvement are fostered in the organization’s control process.
- Significant legislative or regulatory issues impacting the organization are recognized and addressed appropriately
This position reports directly to the VP Learner Services and CFO for all responsibilities.
- Provides expertise in developing, implementing, and maintaining an internal control framework which informs the annual audit plan.
- Develops a flexible annual audit plan using an appropriate risk-based methodology, including any risks or control concerns identified by management, and submits that plan to the Audit and Risk Management Council for review and approval as well as periodic updates.
- Oversees the audit plans and ensures they consider the following:
o documented internal controls,
o impact of transaction cycles and controls on accurate, reliable, and timely reporting,
o that employee’s actions are in compliance with policies, standards, procedures and applicable laws and regulations
o that resources are acquired economically, used efficiently, and are adequately protected
o that programs, plans and objectives are achieved
o that quality and continuous improvement are fostered in the organization’s control process
o that significant legislative or regulatory issues impacting the organization are recognized and addressed appropriately
- Implements the annual audit plan, as approved, including as appropriate any special tasks or projects requested by management and the Audit and Risk Management Council.
- Maintains sufficient knowledge, skills, experience, and professional certifications to meet the requirements of this Charter.
- Evaluates and assesses significant merging/consolidating functions and new or changing services, processes, operations, and control processes coincident with their development, implementation, and/or expansion.
- Issues periodic reports to the Audit and Risk Management Council and the Executive Committee and other managers as may be appropriate, summarizing results of audit activities.
- Keeps the Audit and Risk Management Council informed of emerging trends and successful practices in internal auditing.
- Provides a list of significant measurement goals and results to the Audit and Risk Management Council.
- Makes recommendations related to audit findings in regard to process improvements and reporting techniques.
- Assists in the investigation of significant suspected fraudulent activities within the organization and notifies management and the Audit and Risk Management Council of the results; if it is suspected the activity includes a management person it will be reported to the CFO and/or the President & CEO as fits the circumstance; if it is suspected it includes a member of the executive it will be reported to the Chair of the Audit and Risk Management Council.
- Considers the scope of work of the external auditors and regulators, as appropriate, for the purpose of providing optimal audit coverage to the organization at a reasonable overall cost.
- Works co-operatively with counterparts in other Alberta post-secondary institutions to better serve Bow Valley College’s needs
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Professional Accounting designation with a minimum 7 years of accounting/auditing experience, including experience as an external or internal auditor.
- An equivalent combination of directly related education and experience may be considered
- Strong computer skills, including use of Microsoft Office with advanced skills in Excel.
- Prior experience managing a team with proven skills in coaching and mentoring.
- Proactive approach to problem solving – resourceful and innovative with an ability to see the bigger picture.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with a keen attention to detail.
- High level of professionalism, confidentiality, and discretion.
- Leadership role in Finance including interfaces with all levels of stakeholders and supervisory experience
More search results
Financial Reporting Analyst
Spartan Delta Corp
Chief Financial Officer/Treasurer
Foundations for the Future Charter Academy
Senior Financial Analyst
BURNCO Rock Products Ltd.
Senior Staff Accountant
Numeris LLP Chartered Professional Accountants
Manager Financial Reporting and Tax
Wilmington Capital Management Inc.