Kingston Ross Pasnak LLP is hiring on behalf of a client in the greater Edmonton region. Our client is the first major Métis cultural destination in Alberta. In 2019, the new 11,000 square foot Cultural Gathering Centre was completed – a unique combination of historic and contemporary craftmanship. With this new facility, we have become a year-round destination offering experiences that share about and celebrate Alberta’s Métis. Currently, our client is undertaking the construction of a 40 room boutique lodge, and has an aggressive business strategy to become a leader in Alberta’s Indigenous tourism sector.
Our client is seeking a detail and growth oriented Financial Controller. Reporting directly to the CEO, the controller will play a lead role in strategic planning, budget development, financial reporting and risk management.
- Set up and oversee finance systems.
- Create accounting functions and operations.
- Develop policies and procedures for financial management and operations.
- Develop revenue and expense budgets, financial strategy and plans for financial growth.
- Drive the company’s annual financial planning, manage budgeting processes, and improve efficiencies.
- Control and evaluate the organization’s fundraising plans and capital structure.
- Monitor and manage the cash flow to ensure it is appropriate for the organization’s operations.
- Monitor internal controls and ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting.
- Prepare financial statements and support month-end and year-end closing processes.
- Conduct high-level financial reporting and analysis, including the preparation of accurate current and forecasted reports.
- Perform risk management by analyzing the organization’s liabilities and investments.
- Ensure quality control over transactions, reporting, and financial processes.
- Work closely with management to meet all financial needs of the organization.
- Manage vendor relationships.
- Ensure compliance with laws, financial regulations, and company policies.
- Additional finance duties as required.
Skills & Competencies
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills, both with internal and external audiences.
- Experience working with diverse teams of varying cultural backgrounds and ages.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Impeccable attention to details.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and SAGE financial management software.
- In depth knowledge of corporate Alberta financial law
- Strong background in risk management practices.
- Excellent knowledge of data analysis and forecasting methods.
- Ability to strategize and solve problems.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality in all interactions. Strong sense of ethics and the ability to handle sensitive or private information with tact and discretion.
- An analytical mind, with a passion for working with numbers.
- Knowledge of Alberta history and cultural diversity.
- Knowledge of Métis culture, history, and issues affecting Métis people.
- BSc/BA in Accounting, Finance or relevant field.
- CPA is a strong asset.
- Minimum 7 years related experience.
- Proven experience in financial management with excellent knowledge of accounting fundamentals.
- The client is located in Smoky Lake; this position will require someone to be onsite frequently.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule of days, evenings, and weekends, and travel throughout AB, if required.
- Must provide Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check.
What We Offer
- The opportunity to work with an Indigenous organization and be part of an exciting journey towards self-governance.
- The opportunity to contribute to one of Alberta’s most exciting tourism destinations in the making.
- Learnings about Métis history and culture and a rich Indigenous cultural experience.
- The best view around.
- Personal development opportunities.
- A comprehensive benefit package and employer contributions to Pension Plan.
- 3 weeks paid vacation.