As a member of the Finance Department, the Controller is accountable for budgeting, reporting, treasury, audit, taxation, and leading and managing a team under his/her supervision, in order to achieve Company goals.
The Controller directly manages the Accountants and Payroll & Benefits Coordinator under his supervision, in accordance with Company policies and applicable laws and standards.
The Controller is accountable for performing the following Core Responsibilities and Duties:
- Lead by example, with a clear and defined vision for the team, promote a high level of performance, encourage a positive work environment, and coordinate and facilitate department team building.
- Interview, hire, train, develop, establish objectives, plan and assign work, and evaluate performance of direct reports.
- Contribute to team development and success by effectively directing, retaining, coaching and mentoring direct reports.
- Develop, implement and evaluate continuous improvements to the corporate financial and accounting policies, systems, and internal control measures.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports, operational reports, and management reports.
- Quarterly and year end audit reporting.
- Oversee the preparation of monthly consolidated statements and preparation of variance reports.
- Prepare and present financial information for quarterly and annual reports.
- Manage the overall corporate budgeting process, including generating reports of performance against budgets.
- Manage the process, including coordinating the coordination of all year-end materials for audit review.
- Coordinate and work with external auditors, audit committee and Board of Directors.
- Manage the annual audit requirements to ensure all deadlines are met. This includes determining and publishing the deadlines for working paper completion, coordinating with the corporate / external auditors, any additional information requests, meetings, analysis, confirmations, inventory counts, and review of documents provided to Auditors.
- Oversee the implementation of financial and taxation processes and procedures.
- Support commodity tax reporting and ensure legislative changes are implemented.
- Assist in the overall corporate tax planning (all tax, GST etc).
- Understand and be part of the Company’s strategic, tactical and operational planning as it pertains to the Accounting & Finance department.
- Manage cash flow and forecast and monitor loan balances.
- Responsible for the accuracy and timeliness of financial information.
- Implementation and management of internal controls with respect to financial policies, processes, and procedures.
- Support new systems or project selections and implementation from a strategic finance and internal control perspective.
- Develop and maintain accounting systems and internal controls to record monitor and safeguard the assets of the Company.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Completion of undergraduate degree with an Accounting/Finance concentration.
- Professional accounting designation required (CPA).
- Minimum 7 years of experience in a Controller role.
- Experience working in industrial and / or commercial construction.
- Experience in accounting related to manufacturing businesses.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, Revenue Canada rulings, and other legislation.
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems (ERP systems preferable).
- Working knowledge of short- and long-term budgeting and forecasting, rolling budgets, and product-line profitability analysis.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections.
- Highly motivated self-starter with the proven ability to work independently as well as within a team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent analytical and effective problem-solving skills and ability.
- Sound team building abilities complemented by proven management skills.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills.
- The ability to set priorities effectively in a deadline driven environment.
- Experience in a multiple company / divisional environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of MS Office applications.
More search results
CSV Accounting & Financial Supports Supervisor
The City of Red Deer - Human Resources
Financial Planning and Budget Analyst
Northwest Territories Housing Corporation
Secure Energy Services Inc.
CPA Articling Student
JR Shaw School of Business, NAIT