Specialist, Complex Accounting - Acquisition Accounting
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
Pursuant to the Government of Canada’s mandate that all federally regulated employers require their employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, CP requires all prospective employees to confirm their vaccination status as part of the hiring process and as a condition of continued employment.
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Specialist, Acquisition Accounting researches, prepares accounting and reporting deliverables, and assists with integration activities associated with entities that CP is acquiring in partnership with internal stakeholders.
- Forecast and account for equity pickup from CP’s investments and acquirees and reconcile related accounts;
- Research guidance, identify alternatives, and document recommendations for ad-hoc items related to equity investments and acquisition accounting;
- Assist with month end close and external quarterly reporting, including preparation of disclosures related to equity investments and acquisitions and development of information requests to gather information from investees or newly acquired subsidiaries;
- Prepare and review monthly/quarterly/annual financial analysis that supports consolidated financial results and corporate forecasts;
- Prepare and review inputs into information required as part of projects associated with the acquisition, as required;
- Coordinate and implement processes for consolidation of intercompany accounts with CP acquirees and conversion of existing intercompany processes within newly developed systems;
- Implement process improvements that support a timely close, forecast accuracy, and ability to report;
- Ensure financial reporting is in compliance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP), Tax or securities regulation, as applicable;
- Ensure accounting and reporting process complies with applicable internal control (SOX) requirements;
- Address and respond to queries from auditors and internal reviewers.
- Accounting designation required (CPA; CPA, CA);
- Knowledge of accounting standards and regulatory requirements applicable to public companies (US GAAP desirable);
- Application expertise (desirable): SAP, BPC, Excel, Workiva, Blackline;
- Process management skills;
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy;
- Ability to set and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").