JOB POSTING FORM
Job Title: Treasurer
Department: Board of Directors
Reports To: Board Chair
Job Category: Volunteer Time Commitment: 10-15 hours/month
Length of Term: 2 years
Approved By: Cosmina Doiciulescu , November 19, 2021
ChatterBox Theatre Society has been dedicated to delivering a meaningful theatrical experience to young audiences through interaction and humour. We aim to teach children positive values and offer them support in all stages of their development. In addition, we strive to build a stronger community by encouraging public engagement and dialogue, while nurturing and promoting our local artists.
WHAT DO WE DO?
ChatterBox Theatre provides positive and interactive theatrical experiences for children in the community. Our purpose is not only to create unique and enjoyable productions, but also teach children concepts of feelings and how they influence the world around them.
Apart from the education and entertainment of our unique plays, we also offer support for the local artistic community by creating development opportunities for young performers. We also help connect the public with emerging artists, offering space for exhibitions and periodic events.
WHY SHOULD YOU VOLUNTEER WITH US?
ChatterBox Theatre Society is a “grass roots” non-profit organization about to embark on a period of significant growth, and we need your passion and expertise in shaping that for the future! During this period of rapid growth, we want to maintain a strong and consistent focus on the children, performers and theatrical staff. Our volunteers are very committed to and passionate about the work at ChatterBox Theatre Society, as well as ensuring the successful outcomes of their programs.
Serving South Calgary and Okotoks regions, we offer flexible volunteer work arrangements with online/virtual options available. Upon successful completion of the volunteer role or project, you can use us as a reference or obtain a letter of reference for your future roles. Volunteer hours may also be used for maintaining your professional designation and/or program studies, which can be verified by your respective professional association or educational institution.
We focus on values like family, friendship, teamwork, and trust. We lead by example, so we need to be what we want our children to become. More than performers and theatrical staff, we are a family. We welcome the children of our community into our theatre—our home—to be active members of our organization, teaching them positive values and letting them know they belong within our society. If your values align with ours and you want to be part of this exciting organization, please apply today so that we can understand how your passion and expertise can make a positive impact in the community!
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Treasurer reports to the Board Chair and oversees the financial management of the organization and ensures other Board Directors are adequately informed of financial-related issues to ensure good decision-making and governance. This role is responsible for providing leadership in the formation of financial policies, investment strategies, and preparation of financial and audit reports. With a thorough understanding of finance or accounting, they also establish the Finance Committee and its members. Working closely with the team, this senior strategic financial leadership role will guide and coach the team to ensure the organization meets its annual financial goals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Attend and be prepared for Board meetings to discuss key issues, and provide strategic guidance and governance on financial topics to the Board of Directors and the President & CEO.
• Prepare financial reports for the Board’s review at every Board meeting, including budgets, comparisons of actual expenses against budgeted expenses, etc.
• Interpret new financial and compliance regulations coming from parties, like the government, that apply to the organization and explain them in clear terms to the Board and management.
• Ensure all annual reports required by the Canadian Not-for-Profit (NFP) Act are completed accurately and in a timely manner, and are ready for examination and review, when required.
• Design and implement internal financial measures, controls, policies & procedures that ensure external compliance requirements are met.
• Prepare annual budgets, financials, and reports, as set out for the organization, and monitor the finances to ensure it supports this budget and manages cash flow appropriately.
• Review and evaluate the organization’s finances to identify potential risks or issues and provide recommendations to mitigate
• Where applicable, provide training on financial policies and monitor their effectiveness.
• Engage in discussions around reports on the performance and budget of fundraising initiatives.
• Participate in the financial governance and fundraising initiatives within the organization.
• Strive to meet all legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
• Develop and approve the Terms of Reference of the Finance Committee, and ensure that committee members fully understand them.
• Establish the Finance Committee by populating it with qualified and passionate individuals.
• Coach the Finance Committee and its members to carry out specific initiatives set out by the Board of Directors that support the organization in meeting its annual financial goals.
• Contribute to the development of the organization’s reputation as a leading theatrical experience provider for children and the local artistic community in Calgary and area.
• Participate in fundraising or special events hosted by the organization or by others in the community who are supporting the organization
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Demonstrated leadership / advisory skills with leading and coaching teams to successful outcomes, with specific experience in terms of finance, accounting or related experience.
• Strong attention to detail with accurate and transparent analysis in financial report development.
• Excellent interpretation and communication skills to understand financial / compliance texts and translate these to members of the Board and organization staff in a way that’s understood.
• Self-starter, who is motivated to stay abreast of new finance developments and persistent in researching clear and definitive answers for the organization.
• Excellent networking and communication skills to establish private and professional networks that recognize the benefits of investing in the organization and its mission.
• Strong work ethic and passionate commitment to advancing the mission of the organization.
• Ability to think strategically and govern accordingly.
• Ability to work independently while collaborating with other team members to achieve desired outcomes that support the mission of the organization.
• Friendly, professional demeanor and considered approachable by others they interact with.
• Ability to effectively communicate ideas, concepts, and opinions, while respecting others when they do the same.
• Strong organizational and process-driven skills, with an excellent follow-through on actions.
• Strong project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently.
• 5 – 10 years’ experience in the area of finance, accounting, or banking.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration.
• Must have a CPA designation.
• Demonstrated work or volunteer experience in researching and translating external financial compliance requirements into internal policies.
• Experience working with non-profit organizations is considered an asset.
• Previous Board experience is considered an asset.
• Passionate interest in theatre and education of the fine arts in the Calgary community.
• Bringing a network of potential collaborators considered an asset.
• Legally entitled to volunteer in Canada, with the ability to meet volunteer screening requirements
(e.g. criminal check, including a vulnerable sector verification).
We encourage interested and qualified candidates to apply to this volunteer position as the Treasurer. Please send a brief email explaining why this is an opportunity you are passionate about, as well as your resume and brief biography to firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about ChatterBox Theatre Society, or to donate to our cause, please visit our website at www.chatterboxtheatresociety.com.
More search results
CSV Accounting & Financial Supports Supervisor
The City of Red Deer - Human Resources
Financial Planning and Budget Analyst
Northwest Territories Housing Corporation
Secure Energy Services Inc.
CPA Articling Student
JR Shaw School of Business, NAIT