Technical Accounting Specialist
- Job Industry
- Oil & Gas/Mining Exploration and Development, Oil & Gas/Mining Services
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
- Job Type
Pembina Pipeline Corporation’s Calgary office is recruiting for a Specialist, Technical Accounting to join the team. This position reports to the Manager, Accounting Policy in the Accounting Services Unit (ASU), part of Pembina’s Financial Services Division.
The Specialist, Technical Accounting will work with a team of professionals to develop, implement and maintain new and existing accounting policies, support major transactions and ensure new contracts are accurately and completely accounted for.
Summary of Responsibilities
Role responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Contract Analysis – work together with Business Unit accounting, business development, and legal teams to review contracts and assess appropriate accounting treatments under IFRS and US GAAP;
- Accounting Policies – ensure accounting policies are relevant to the business and updated on a regular basis, with sufficient documentation in place to provide guidance and support to Pembina’s Business Unit accounting teams;
- Research and document technical accounting interpretations for complex or unusual transactions;
- Liaise with financial reporting, investor relations, tax and other departments throughout the organization to assess the financial reporting impacts of acquisitions, dispositions and other proposed transactions, ensuring accounting implications are understood;
- Develop relationships with, and support Business Unit accounting teams with technical accounting interpretations as requested;
- Provide training on technical accounting issues to individuals at all levels of the organization;
- Accounting standard implementation – review new or amended IFRS and US GAAP standards, quantify impacts on financial statements and disclosures, work with the business to adapt processes to meet new requirements and revise accounting policies accordingly;
- Assist corporate or business unit accounting teams with analysis and special projects as assigned; and
- Contribute to a team environment that values inclusion & diversity.
- Designated accountant, with 5+ years of post-designation experience;
- Strong technical accounting skills, with experience in IFRS accounting interpretation, analysis and implementation;
- Effective communication and collaboration skills;
- Attention to detail and research, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Results-oriented with strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a fast-paced team environment;
- Energetic, positive and self-motivated;
- Advanced Excel skills, and experience with other MS Office tools; and
- Energy Industry experience, public accounting practice experience, accounting system experience (SAP/Workiva/Power BI), and experience applying US GAAP or IFRS 9, will each be considered an asset.