Established in 1939, the Alberta Teachers’ Retirement Fund (ATRF) has consistently provided administration of Alberta teachers’ pension plans for over 80 years. ATRF takes pride in delivering exceptional member-focused services and information to over 80,000 members and strives to deliver outstanding investment support to a Pension Plan that oversees over $22billion in assets.
ATRF is currently looking for an enthusiastic individual to join our dynamic Finance team as the Controller in Edmonton, AB.
Reporting to the Vice President, Finance, the Controller has considerable Corporate Finance experience and is responsible for managing and directing ATRF’s corporate and pension finance, accounting and financial reporting functions. The Controller provides leadership and guidance to all members of ATRF’s finance functions, along with oversight of finance data governance and strategy development to ensure accurate, timely and relevant reporting to stakeholders.
The Controller is responsible for coordinating and managing the finance functions to ensure appropriate oversight and governance of financial controls. The Controller works closely with senior management and external stakeholders to develop financial reports and provide critical information to key stakeholders.
Working with and leading Corporate Finance teams, the Controller ensures accuracy and timeliness of transaction processing and maintains the integrity of financial data for Corporate Financial Services, Pension Financial Services and any outsourced service providers, as well as compliance with requirements around pension payroll and other disbursements. This position assists in effective analysis, interpretation and consolidation of enterprise wide budgetary plans and forecasts and is responsible for coordinating and managing the finance functions to ensure appropriate oversight and governance of financial controls.
The ideal candidate is someone who is high performing, analytical, driven by continuous improvements and innovation, and has experience leading through change. The position requires an individual that is adaptable and resilient, with a proven ability to build strong working relationships and trust with in the team.
In addition to training, coaching and directing a skilled team of financial professionals, the Controller is consulted as a resource and technical expert in Finance.
A more detailed description of this role can be viewed on the ATRF Careers Page
Qualifications, Experience and Capabilities
- Successful completion of a 4-year university degree in a related field
- Completion of a professional accountancy designation is required
- Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible roles in Corporate Finance
- Demonstrated ability to understand issues and use appropriate communication to influence at all levels
- Well-honed business partnership skills
- Strong knowledge of the CPA Canada Handbook and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Experience with accounting systems, JDE preferred
- Experience with internal controls within a financial services organization, including outsourcing of critical accounting functions
- Adaptable and resilient, with the ability to build relationships and trust quickly
- Strong analytical, strategic and organizational skills
- Proven ability to work equally effectively and collaboratively in team-based environments, as well as independently on tasks, which require high levels of initiative, autonomy and independent thought and action
- Moderate to high level of understanding of pension plan concepts and pension payment cycles is preferred
- Moderate understanding of investment structures is preferred
As one of Alberta's Top Employers for the last five consecutive years we offer a competitive compensation package, a comprehensive benefit program and an inclusive culture where you can be you!
At ATRF, diversity is one of our core strengths. We are an organization that takes pride in ensuring the people we hire and the culture we create reflects and celebrates diversity of thought, background, and experience.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter attention to Aurlee Crane, Recruitment Specialist to email@example.com . We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
COVID 19 Vaccination & Testing Protocol: ATRF requires all employees and contractors to provide evidence of full vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of protected grounds under the Human Rights Act may request an accommodation. The successful candidate will be required to provide proof of vaccination.