- Simmons Financial Holdings Corp.
- 1212 34th Ave SE Calgary, AB T2G 1V7
- Job Industry
- Job Type
Simmons Financial Holdings Corp.
Simmons Financial Holdings Corp. (SFHC), is a private investment holding company with a diverse portfolio of private and public company investments. SFHC provides assistance to the management of its investees specializing in managing and rehabilitating distressed assets.
SFHC was formed in 1999 and has since been involved in many equity and financing deals in industries including, oil and gas services, retail energy, renewable energy, real estate management and development, and technology. SFHC continues to grow and is seeking to expand its restructuring and management business and further invest in distressed assets.
The Why, What, How & Who of SFHC
Why: Spending our lives with brilliant people doing amazing things.
We all have a choice, and we are here. We are humbled by the caliber of our colleagues and feel a deep sense of obligation to make our time together exceptional. At SFHC we choose to spend our lives with people we love and admire - brilliant people doing amazing things.
What: A brain trust focused on optimizing human potential to build own and operate a diversified portfolio of businesses that enrich humanity.
As a Family office we are a unique business in that we truly have limitless possibility and can do almost anything, but not everything. So, at our core, we are essentially a brain trust focused on optimizing human potential to build own and operate a diversified portfolio of businesses that enrich humanity.
How: Bridging original thought and decisive considerate action.
Given our scope we aspire to have a team who will truly engage in passionate original thought. This is the creation of a multitude of possibilities and alternatives that are challenged and ranked in collaboration with our partners. And ultimately, we need choice which then leads to decisive considerate action.
Who: Values and common behaviours
Such environment and culture is honed by very special people who honour and embrace a certain set of values and behaviours:
We are dreamers - people who embrace infinite possibilities and the big dreams we aspire to create.
All great things start with a vision of possibility. We are positive and optimistic.
We are people people - people who connect with others and develop lasting and trusting relationships. These relationships keep us safe in a world that can be unpredictable and scary.
We cherish our relationships.
We are candid communicators - people who have the courage to challenge the status quo, alternatives, actions and or behaviours that are inconsistent with our long term aspirations. We are expressive.
We are focused and disciplined - people who are practical and have the capacity and tenacity to make our aspirations become realities. We are creators.
Reporting directly to the VP Finance, the Company is seeking an enthusiastic and bright individual who is eager to learn, independent, motivated and interested in hands-on work in diverse areas of accounting, reporting, taxation and finance including: insolvency, real estate, technology, oil & gas and investments. This individual will have the opportunity to collaborate with a dynamic finance & accounting team, and will work closely with various departments as part of their role (i.e. operations, capital markets, legal). The successful candidate will report to the VP Finance and work closely with other members of the management team.
If you are eager to learn the foundations of private equity investments, this is a great environment to be in as you will be surrounded by the day-to-day activities of true investors and will gain many first-hand experiences that will foster your growth in the business community.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter and a highly ambitious person and will have the following skills and experience:
● Have a CPA designation in good standing with 5+ years of work experience;
● Strong knowledge of IFRS, ASPE, tax compliance and government reporting regulations;
● Strong leadership qualities – ability to manage and motivate a team, as well as resolve
● Attention to details and accuracy, with a high ability to problem solve independently;
● Strong intercompany organizational skills;
● Experience with leading and working in a team environment;
● Comfortable in a fast-paced environment;
● Excellent communication skills and willing to work additional hours as required, specifically
relating to financial reporting and project deadlines;
● Comfortable with public speaking and presenting internally and externally on financial
results and special projects;
● Must be able to meet various deadlines associated with quarterly and year end processes
for SFHC and all associated investment companies;
● Microsoft Office (intermediate excel skills)
● Skilled and experienced with QuickBooks application
● Standard knowledge of IT Systems
Some of your duties for SFHC and its investment companies will include (but will not be limited to):
● Responsible for the financial and management reporting and accompanying schedules, including budget vs. actual variance reports for the entities allocated and presenting such information to management or governance teams as required;
● Assist in preparation, review and approval of long-term forecasts, annual budgets, and models;
● Supervision and performance of accounting functions including review and approval of monthly financial/operation reports, monthly cash schedules and cash management, monthly payment cycle, monthly/quarterly/annual tax compliance filings, annual budgets, quarterly financial packages, annual internal control analysis, and position papers/memos;
● Responsible for completion of all quarterly and annual financial reporting packages as well as regulatory/tax filings and necessary compliances (i.e. annual corporate returns, providing NAV/unit to transfer agents etc.);
● Responsible for completion of annual external audits for the entities allocated;
● Assist with training a team of accountants, both in person and remotely, working
closely to ensure complex or non-routine transactions are accounted for in accordance
with accounting standards;
● Develop and maintain internal controls to increase the integrity and accuracy of the
company’s financial data and processes;
● Make recommendations to improve accounting, software, and management practices
and steward change implementation process;
● Manage monthly reporting process, including month end closing entries,
reporting/analysis of financial results and providing oversight of external bookkeeping
● Review filings, press releases, meeting minutes and presentations containing financial
● Assist with special projects/deals or reports as required.
Salary and incentive programs will be negotiable and based on qualifications.
More search results
Tax / Accounting Manager - Calgary CPA Firm
The KASSAM Group, CPA and Advisors
Manager, Finance & Accoutning
Alberta University of the Arts
Manager of Compliance, Accounting and Financial S…
Legislative Assembly Office
Manager, Budget Planning and Administration - (99…
Parkland County Center